Collecting Cool Rocks! Minerals, Crystals, Fossils, Geodes, etc.

Pics
Have you ever been walking through a park, on a hike, or walking down a beach when a rock caught your eye? One that seemed special enough that it couldn't be left behind? That's where rock collecting starts for many of us! People that go out to collect their own rocks are often called "Rock Hounds" but some of us can't stop at collecting rocks in our general area and start branching off buying, and trading rocks and minerals from all over the world!

I got the rock collecting bug really young when I kept small stones that I thought were pretty and especially loved smooth, shiny stones that had been rounded from time in the ocean as the waves and sand washed over them.

Now that I've been collecting for many years I've acquired some really interesting specimens. Including fluorescent and even phosphorescent stones and geodes!

I also find all of the different formations really interesting. The image below is all examples of clear quartz, a geode, clusters, points, and a tumbled stone. All very different formations and clarity, yet they are the same!

Some of my fossils and petrified wood.

View attachment 2445582
View attachment 2445653
View attachment 2445655

I would love to see some of what you collect too!

We have quite a collection of rocks, tooo!

We have a lot of random rocks but these are my favorite...

Found these along the beach in Santa Cruz:
Picture_20210118_091428219.jpg

These were gifted to DH:
Picture_20210118_091513229.jpg

My Avó (grandma) brought these back for me from the beaches in the Azores (where my mom & family is from):
Picture_20210118_091630890.jpg

And I just love looking at these when I do dishes:
20210118_090845.jpg

Back
Top Bottom