Collecting eggs to incubate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickeeta, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Chickeeta

Chickeeta Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Salt Spring Island
    I have 5 Australorp hens (about 10 months old) and was given a beautiful Australorp rooster two weeks ago. The rooster is just over a year old, I think. It took a week for everyone to get used to one another, but now they are one happy flock. I just bought a new incubator and have lots of questions since I am a complete novice to hatching. The first two are as follows:
    1. At what point (if ever) can I assume that all the hens are laying fertile eggs (I know he is mating with some of them)?
    2. I can usually count on 4 eggs a day, sometimes 5. My incubator will hold 41. So how should I store my eggs until I have enough to fill the incubator (will take about 10 days to collect)?
    Other questions can wait until after I have the eggs!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I would give your rooster 3 weeks to make sure he is mating everyone, crack a few eggs to look for the blastoderm (white bullseye in the egg yolk) when you have decided that yes he is fertilizing the eggs your good to go.

7 to 10 day window is good for storing eggs to incubate, I just leave mine in cartons in a cool place in the house, tilt the carton from side to side 3 times or so a day to keep the blastoderm from sitting in the same spot in the yolk, til I ready to stick them in a bator.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I highly recommended you get a auto turner if you didn't.
    You can plug it in on the counter or out of the way place and let it turn your eggs till all are collected .
    Then set the turner and all your eggs at one time into the incubator.

4. Chickeeta

Chickeeta Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Salt Spring Island
    Thanks for the advice. Just what I needed to know.

5. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Okie hen-

Great idea on the turner. I had never heard anyone use theirs for that. Would definately work great!

6. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Let us know what you have hatch!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by