color genetics Q

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
hi all, i just had my first go at the chicken color calculator (well my first possibly successful go anyhow) and if i did it correctly when crossing a birchen (i always called them "grey" but i beleave birchen is the correct term?) with a blacktail white you will get...

50% Pullets, black patterned silver -necked/birchen
50% Cockerels, black patterned silver -necked/birchen

does this mean that black patterened silver is the same as necked/birchen? im not sure what necked is. Im new to researching color genetics and its a bit daunting
roll.png

thx in advance
smile.png

The patern is SILVER NECKED BLACK .That is Birchen to:hmmr Grey in Game breeds.Birchen color parern is dominant.Black tailed white is called Columbian.Columbian is rececive to Birchen but in most cases will add more siver to Birchen paterned birds

thank you for the reply, is having more silver a desired trait with the birchen color?

Necked refers to the neck. It's really easy to read it as "naked"! It is one syllable, describing how the neck is silver. Lily livered, yellow bellied? Same thing.

interesting, so much genetics lingo
roll.png
ill have to learn it if im to use this calculator!

this is great news, as i have a line of beautiful short legged birchen japanese bantams and i cannot find any other of this color & breed to mix in for new genetics, and i already have some blacktailed white japanese bantms (long legged but i dont mind that, my birchen are all short legged).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom