Colorado

Woo Hoo!

Hanover girls beat Miami-Yoder! (Hanover is a 1A, Miami-Yoder is a 2A)

AND I came home to one more late afternoon egg. The last 4 days have shown a slight increase in laying. Not much, but an increase just the same.

Woo Hoo!

Hanover girls beat Miami-Yoder! (Hanover is a 1A, Miami-Yoder is a 2A)

AND I came home to one more late afternoon egg. The last 4 days have shown a slight increase in laying. Not much, but an increase just the same.
Wow, starting to lay in these temps, that sure is impressive! Congrats on the win!

Last edited:
Got, set it and forget it! Just read on one mans page that all "shipped" eggs that the air sacks are wonky on, he sets those eggs upright for the first 7 -8 days, so they can re-attach. Does that make sense? Not to turn them? He is using a redwood incubator, and says it usually works that they usually hatch.
Thats what I did. I plugged in the turner on day 8 I think. Candle the eggs around day 5 or 6 to see how the air cells look. If they are all still really wobbly give them a few more days. If they are solidly affixed, go ahead and turn on the turner. It's a judgement call in the end but I have heard of people not turning up to 10 days and getting good hatches (one particular lady swore by the 10 day mark)

Wow, starting to lay in these temps, that sure is impressive! Congrats on the win!
Most have been laying all winter, but only every third day or so. Also noticed this afternoon the pullet #7's comb and wattles aren't a nice "I'm laying" red anymore, an indicator that she isn't laying. No breeding for her. She may end up having to leave the flock one way or another this fall.....That doesn't fit into the flock plan. the hens must lay in the winter, or they go away.

Ours spent the day huddled under the coop yesterday, silly girls. The rain doesn't seem to bother them, but let a couple of snow flakes swirl around and they become scaredy chickens, LOL

We did finally break down and add a light to the coop and our production is up to about 3 per day (we have 6 chickens) which I think is pretty good. They're nice, clean, well shelled, good sized ones. We finally found the culprit (bully) and have her sequestered now. I suspect her being out of the coop is the reason we're getting such nice eggs now; there's so much less stress on the others.

In case anyone is interested, I created both a page and a group on Facebook. They're called Colorado Sustainable Urban Homestead Collective. Quite a mouthful, but I wanted to sort of cover all the bases. They're both totally open and I'd love to have comments, suggestions, likes and participation, if it's something that appeals to you :)

How's everyone's snow today? We got a total of perhaps 2 or 3 inches, and a lot of it melted yesterday. I'm hoping more goes today. We need the moisture, as always, but I prefer that it falls in the High Country where they can use it for skiing and such, and then we get the melt/run off, LOL.

Wow, I didn't realize that comb color was an indication of they're laying situation...is that just for Doms? I've noticed that our resident bully has a different thing and I wonder what it might mean, if anything. I don't know the proper terminology but she has red skin on each side of her head, just below the ears. It's fairly prominent and seems to have pin feathers poking out. The others have the skin, but it's not thickened nor nearly so noticeable. She's also molting, so perhaps it's a function of that? Our chicken who's at the bottom of the pecking order didn't have that when she was molting, so...? Of course, I think her molt was stress induced...she was in pretty bad shape...huge bald spots on her shoulders from being mounted, a totally nekkid butt from being plucked. Poor thing...she was laying but her eggs were misshapen and the shells had really thin spots. We had to move her out of the coop to recover and she has, and now her eggs are beauties.

Ours spent the day huddled under the coop yesterday, silly girls. The rain doesn't seem to bother them, but let a couple of snow flakes swirl around and they become scaredy chickens, LOL

We did finally break down and add a light to the coop and our production is up to about 3 per day (we have 6 chickens) which I think is pretty good. They're nice, clean, well shelled, good sized ones. We finally found the culprit (bully) and have her sequestered now. I suspect her being out of the coop is the reason we're getting such nice eggs now; there's so much less stress on the others.

In case anyone is interested, I created both a page and a group on Facebook. They're called Colorado Sustainable Urban Homestead Collective. Quite a mouthful, but I wanted to sort of cover all the bases. They're both totally open and I'd love to have comments, suggestions, likes and participation, if it's something that appeals to you :)

How's everyone's snow today? We got a total of perhaps 2 or 3 inches, and a lot of it melted yesterday. I'm hoping more goes today. We need the moisture, as always, but I prefer that it falls in the High Country where they can use it for skiing and such, and then we get the melt/run off, LOL.

Wow, I didn't realize that comb color was an indication of they're laying situation...is that just for Doms? I've noticed that our resident bully has a different thing and I wonder what it might mean, if anything. I don't know the proper terminology but she has red skin on each side of her head, just below the ears. It's fairly prominent and seems to have pin feathers poking out. The others have the skin, but it's not thickened nor nearly so noticeable. She's also molting, so perhaps it's a function of that? Our chicken who's at the bottom of the pecking order didn't have that when she was molting, so...? Of course, I think her molt was stress induced...she was in pretty bad shape...huge bald spots on her shoulders from being mounted, a totally nekkid butt from being plucked. Poor thing...she was laying but her eggs were misshapen and the shells had really thin spots. We had to move her out of the coop to recover and she has, and now her eggs are beauties.
well, I know that in Doms, and in the EEs that we have, nice full red combs and nice red wattle and earlobes are an indication of egg laying. I have one that didn't start laying before the days got shorter, and her comb is getting bigger and redder. I don't add any artificial lighting, because of my goals with getting a strain of Doms back to where they used to be as winter layers. During this winter I thought I had 11 laying, but now it seems I only had 10. That will bring the lay factor up. (lay factor is the average eggs laid per day, divided by the number of laying hens you have)

We got about 3 inches, and with the sun shining like it is today, I think most of it will melt. It was nice not to have the wind blowing, so the ground will get some even moisture at my place.

I "liked" your facebook page, even though you are way north of me.

Back
Top Bottom