Colorado

That coop is gorgeous!

The only thing I worry about at night if they roost next to wire with openings as small as an inch is raccoons and weasels, they are dastardly. I have *so far* not had problems with them, but I figure it's a matter of time. I don't know if you ever see either in your area. Sleeping on the floor/ground shouldn't hurt them, my Silkies almost always just cuddle together on the floor. My layers took almost a year to start sleeping on roosts.

Free young Easter Egger cockerel if anybody is interested. Was hatched from a supposed Black Ameraucana egg. May be a cross between a Black and a Silver. Not aggressive at all. Pretty flighty.

Is anyone looking for Khaki Campbell drake? We've had him for a year, since he was a baby but when we got our ducklings we ended up with 2 males and 1 female. He took a long time coming into his maleness but now he's fighting with our other drake (nothing serious, though) and the female is being over bred and showing wear (this is the biggest problem). It's time to find him a new home. He's a good protector and even chases our 75lb dog around the yard! He is very protective of his space. He's generally a quiet fellow. His hobbies are swimming and mating. He would be an easy addition to a group of girls if you are wanting fertile eggs! He is used to being closed up in a coop all night without food or water. We live in northern Colorado. We ask that he not be used for food.

Our barn was over run with mice this last couple months, so we had traps hidden everywhere. Then in the baby stall, we got a shoe box and cut a couple mouse sized holes, and put four traps in it. We caught a frenzy of mice for a week, and it finally slowed down. Feeding them to the chickens actually helped the chickens figure out to eat them, and now we see at least one chicken a day being chased with a mouse in its mouth.
Ok, I know this discussion was over "days" ago, but I was so relieved to hear I wasn't the only one having problems with mice. We used all sorts of premade and home made traps. I fought them all last year...and lost that battle. Until, we built a "new" and improved coop, and enclosed the run on ALL sides (top and bottom) with hardware cloth. (My husband was NOT happy about the new project.) We completed that right around the end of November. then started tearing the old hen house down. As soon as they no longer had a place to hide, they disappeared. We 'tilled the ground where the old house stood, though, just to be safe.

I am noticing one finds a way in the coop once in a while, but the girls make quick snacks out of them.

I caught 6 more mice in the quail coop last night. so two the first night, three the second night and six the third night. I am going to keep at it. I am starting to see more quail eggs now. Once this slows down, I will dig up their floor and put some hardware cloth down so that this does not happen again. So far the live trap is beating the home made bucket trap 11 to 0. I moved the live trap inside the chicken coop for tonight. I know there are at least two in there that need taken care of. I stepped on the third. lol
I have 34 eggs in the incubator and now I have two broody hens. My silkie and my speckled Sussex. All that hatch will go to my neighbor down the street as I have way too many right now.

I caught 6 more mice in the quail coop last night.  so two the first night, three the second night and six the third night.  I am going to keep at it.  I am starting to see more quail eggs now.    Once this slows down, I will dig up their floor and put some hardware cloth down so that this does not happen again.  So far the live trap is beating  the home made bucket trap 11 to 0.  I moved the live trap inside the chicken coop for tonight.  I know there are at least two in there that need taken care of.  I stepped on the third.  lol
I have 34 eggs in the incubator and now I have two broody hens.  My silkie and my speckled Sussex.  All that hatch will go to my neighbor down the street as I have way too many right now.

I noticed, once you catch a lot of adults, the babies starting getting caught while trying to find their own food. That's when you know you're getting a handle on your little population.

Please tell me someone here knows a company that installs leech fields. Peyton, falcon, Calhan area. I am having the hardest time finding someone.

A septic pumping company should be able to give you a name or two

Update on the mice. I went to lock up the chickens and found six more in the live trap. I will now move it back into the quail area for the night. I sure do hate those little buggars. I guess this is the trials and tribulations of living in the country.

Back
Top Bottom