Colorado

So not an hour after I saw the sweater comment a coworker asked what will happen to my chickens this winter or what will I do with my chickens this winter, I almost replied that I've started knitting sweaters (and I'm pretty sure this coworker knows I can actually crochet/knit), but I bit my tongue and just said the same things I'm doing now. And then last night the neighbor asked. and I'm pretty sure my husband asked again... I feel like everyone is more concerned about my chickens surviving the winter than I am! Am I missing something? They will be just fine right? I did do something this morning that I never do, but it didn't exactly involve some elaborate plan for the well being of my chickens... I sprinkled some pine shavings in the run because the snow melted and it's a mud pit. Bam! Ready for winter, haha.

I use straw to keep mine out of the mud.

Awwww man.... I wish you had said you were knitting them sweaters. It would be PRICELESS to see the reaction.

Lol maybe take an old vinyl table cloth and sew them little chicken boots. Then carry them around in your purse to show people when they ask. :lau

Seriously though....
I keep a leghorn or two here. Not a problem in winter.
I heat the water, provide ventilated but draft free housing, keep the feeder full and all do well.

Don't worry yourself to death. Those birds have down coats already.

Ok, next person who asks, I will tell them I am knitting sweaters, and maybe show a pic of something from pinterest.

I know, I genuinely believe they will be fine. There are birds that live here year round outside without a nice little house and they are all smaller than my fat hens. I watch my chickens stand out in the rain and hail and wind and they are fine and when they get sick of it they hide under their ramp or go in the coop.

Well, my "all female" chick order two months ago not only gave me a Egyptian Fayoumi rooster but also a white Polish rooster.

IMG_5602.jpg

Obviously, he will be named after David Bowie's character in Labyrinth. And I will probably be run out of town for having 8 roosters and 4 peacocks and a whole mess of mouthy hens!

I'm not ready for winter. :th

29 chickens Uzi?

Is it really that many now? It seems like yesterday when a lone tiny rooster needed a friend.

I like your mess of birds. I think it is grand you have them and they have you.

If they go running you out of town don't tell them about my 31 hens here. ;) :duc

Just a few of my fluffy butts lol.
IMG_20170918_165913.jpg
The blue Cochin's got really really big!

Back
Top Bottom