Colored chicks??????

this is a video of a guy who has some colored chicks and he actually cares for them check it out! pretty cool that he is actually responsible enough to raise them. he has alot of videos

heres another good video read the description!!!! hes very honest and caring and knows its wrong to dye chicks but wanted to save them from getting bought by children who dont care

More laws?? REALLY???
There will always be thoughtless or ignorant people purchasing animals they have no ablity or education to care for!!!
I am for more EDUCATION... not more legislation. This applies to many many things in our society!

Quote:
Its not like you can't get beer in many places from many companies right in the supermarket--but its in its own section. You actually make that decision to buy beer and don't have your little kids crying for it around Easter. They have these chicks in areas that will have lots of foot traffic with children to sell more--and the real difference is that the "live beer" dies an awful, cruel death if not cared properly for--and I wouldn't be surprised that many colored chicks share that awful fate. If you thought about having chicks you know where to get them--at the feed store, a hatchery or farmer and you have time to allow yourself to be set up for them instead of an impulse purchase.

And you are correct, many animals such as puppies will outlive their cuteness factor are some are not treated well at all.
padded.gif
My thinking is that we must educate and have a reasonable chat with those getting the chick or puppy. Asking what they have to care for them and to let them know how long they live and basic needs. This may only dissuade a few but a few less dead chicks or homeless pups would be worth it. For having children--well there's another big discussion I won't touch!

Don't even think of coloring your chicks it can kill them I learned on a website you poke a hole in the bottem of the egg a few days befor hatching and put food color in it. It is messy and mean to the chicks.

I don't agree with this AT ALL. Why els would they color chicks other than to entice kids to bug there parents about it! I know the first time I walked into a TSC, I saw the chicks and was like WOOOOOO I want those. My mom was like well, it would be nice to gt the eggs (thinking we would save money) I didn't care, I planned in googling them when I went home and getting some the next day. THANK GOD I didn't. I researched for a whole year and a half before buying. I'm glad I got my chicks when I did and not in the feed store that day. Somthing would have gone wrong I'm sure of it. The only reason we didn't get them is because we have bad winters and my mom didn't want to heat the coop! Hahahaha I knew so so so little back then. Now I consider myself pretty well educated about chickens. So to end this rant, I disapprove of this. Impulse is never a good thing. Although there is an impulse I have now that I know about chickens. They call It chicken math hehe

Growing up we always went camping with several other families on Easter Weekend. One year one of the mothers bought colored chicks for all the children. Needless to say they all grew up to be roosters, I believe that the hatcheries use this as a way to get rid of the unwanted cockerel chicks. Well my dad got tired of the four crowing roosters in our aviary and took them back to the family that bought the chickens for everyone.

Its very sad. I have wanted chickens for years, and finally got my husband to agree and he built the coop back in Oct, I ordered my chicks in Nov and they were delieverd Feb 14. I love my almost 4 week old brats - they are so much fun to watch and play with, they jump right in my lap and sleep, or peck, or poop lol

Anyway - my sister came over the other day and wanted to see them, and she told me she bought chicks and ducks on a whim one easter for her step kids.. MONSTERS who are now in juvie or god knows where.. well, the lucky ducks eventually grew large enough to get in the creek behind the house and swim to safety, and the unlucky chicks and ducks that were not nimble enough to escape, had thier little heads pulled off by a horrid barbaric teenager girl who thought it was funny.

It makes me sick to my stomach to even think of that and all these poor babies being sold over easter who are going to be abused, misused and discarded.

The chicks that are dyed are dyed between days 11 and 14 of incubation. In my state it is illegal to sell them it is also illegal for any feed store to sell less then six chicks.

I whole heartedly agree with Yellowrose, more education and less legislation. I understand why my state has a six chick minimum, I hate it. I have a small back yard flock and only want one or two at a time. I get why they don't sell colored chicks, however I've seen many kids who don't care about the color they just want a cute chick.

I personally don't think that the chicks (ones dyed while in the egg) are harmed. Researchers do it all the time in order know which chicks are being used for what. Many breeders do it to mark their chicks. I don't agree in the process of dipping them in dye, because they could breath it in and die.

Back
Top Bottom