Comb changing colors with mood????

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in or not (if not, will a mod please move it for me or tell me where to post), but I have a 7 week old EE chick who has a large pea comb for her age. I only say "her" because I posted a pick of Coral in another thread and it was pretty much decided on she was a she with a larger comb than normal. It's still a bit early, but her feathering and legs all point to a hen so until she starts crowing, I'll keep calling her Coral
smile.png

My question is, can combs change colors with the chickens mood? I swear when she is calm, her comb is yellowish orange and smaller. When she gets excited, it becomes more pink and larger. I've experimented with this the past couple days and it happens everytime. Right now, she is sleeping and it's a nice yellow-orange. A bit ago, I opened the cage door and she went crazy, flying about with a swollen, pink comb.

Has anyone experienced this or read anything about it? I'm baffled.

Last edited:
My cockerel Iris does that sometimes...when she's more active, her comb is a bright red. Whens she's calm, it's paler. I'm not sure why that is...lower blood pressure maybe?

I don't know either but my Daisy does the same thing. Besides the comb, everything about her screams pullet. Sometimes her little comb is pink. other times it is bright red. She'd 9 wks old now and also an EE.

Last edited:
Lol well my hubby would proably disagree with you, but I'm glad not crazy with this comb thing
big_smile.png
That makes total sense about the blood flow, I just couldn't find anything online about it. These two EE's have always been high strung.

Back
Top Bottom