Come check out my set-up!

theduckgirl4110

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I thought I would share some pictures of my duckling brooder and my big-duck brooder. So, criticism is welcome if needed. I love this set-up much better than my other one for my other duck.I got a whole bunch of ideas from the duck forum on here and I mushed- them together and got this: Its so clean!!!! My ducklings havn't arrived yet and I know in a matter of an hour it will be filthy. Do you think I should use pine shavings or straw? I don't know yet. For me, both are available all the time. Both are equally easy to clean.Well enjoy the picks and tell me if something isn't right. Thank you.This is the big-duck
brooder.

On the bottom of the box is plastic.On top of the plastic is 3 inches of straw. By the feeder and waterer
there is a little shake of pine shavings for extra absorbancy. The red thing
under the feed and water is just a Rubbermaid box lid. I have since added a
layer of pine shavings on the lid, and then put the feed and water on top.

That feeder and waterer
isn't for the ducklings, they are for my other adult duck, Tilly who lives in there
at night. Once the ducklings are 2-3 weeks old or whenever they outgrow their brooder, Tilly will be staying in a much smaller night house.I'm kick'n her out!!
somad.gif

The box is much bigger than it looks. Trust me. You should have seen me and my mom shoving that thing in
the car!
gig.gif
We had to "Break it" at one spot, fold it in an unnatural position on its
self, and try shoving it in the car. It worked! The best part of it all, was it was free!!
ya.gif

Tilly always has jumped out of this box, went by the rabbits, and pooped EVERYWHERE in the basement.
D.gif
So today I got her back. I put deer-no mesh over the top, stretched it, staple gunned it and then put "Tilly" Tape all around the edge. Looks pretty good doesn't it? I thought so.
he.gif

This is the top of the box after the mesh- project was done. Ha Ha Tilly!!!!!No more poop clean up in the morning!!!
yesss.gif

This is the duckling brooder.
The spray bottle over the side, is for making the crumbles moist.On the bottom is a layer of thick newspaper. On top of that is an inch of pine shavings. THEN on TOP of that, is 3-4 inches of straw. All that is to help make the bedding a little drier for the little ones.
he.gif

This is the homemade waterer. Thanks Palabeco!It is a 2 liter pop bottle with a rectangler cut hole on the side. I Tilly taped the edges to make it safe for their little heads and eyes. I then took
stick-on velcro, put one half on next to each other and the other half on the box. I might need to put more velcro on. I think I will.The food will go min a plain heavy-ceramic food dish I pulled out of the drawer.

So, how does it all look?
I don't want to give this to my ducklings!!! I want it to stay clean forever!!
tongue.gif

clap.gif

get rid of the straw/hay it will mold quickly and can cause the ducks to become sick

pelleted horse stall bedding actually works best for ducks

you will want a tarp lining the cardboard box as ducks LOVE water andlove making a mess even more. Cardboard + ducks == big mess as they make it wet.

I would agree with the box... check the floor regularly to make surs its not leaking mouldy floors arent fun. Dump the straw daily and switch to pine shavings....I lined the shavings thinner and dumped them out once or twice a day hosing out a large plastic tote. I used a pie tin for short playtimes for babies... it was 90-100 degress outside.. no worries for them getting too cold.

get rid of the straw/hay it will mold quickly and can cause the ducks to become sick

pelleted horse stall bedding actually works best for ducks

you will want a tarp lining the cardboard box as ducks LOVE water andlove making a mess even more. Cardboard + ducks == big mess as they make it wet.
I will make these changes. Also, I forgot to put a thermometer in the brooder. I have one,just have to stick it in there. Thank you all.

I found I needed to make lots of tweaks and a few big adjustments as we went along. We went through three brooder configurations, and they grew - so fast!

So you are doing great, it's a process, please keep us in the loop.

Well I switched to pine shavings. I like them the best. Even in the small brooder. Thank you all! Will keep you updated and lots of pics when they actually arrive!

Arrival date is august 21st. I'm getting a cayuga and a welsh harlequin. I've always wanted a WH and I am finally getting one!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom