Come On AC we want some eggs!

Fed her some bread last night along with the other girls and she bolted to come and eat it. Then this morning she was limping a little and I just noticed a few minutes ago she was walking mostly okay. I think she just hurt herself as I didn't notice any other telltale signs of injuries. Hopefully she'll be back to herself in no time. She is still laying and eating just fine. She seems to be doing fine since I wormed her as well.

Wow first eggs after 1 year old! I wonder if Anconas are just prone to be bad to non-layers? I have read in a couple places on the net about Anconas just not laying many eggs at all. Also, I have an Ancona who is 6 months, 2 weeks old, and has laid 4 eggs so far. She lays about 1 egg per week and that's it. It's always an extra large white egg, double yolker every time. I sometimes see her sitting on a nest for an hour or two at a time, and NO EGG. It's like she feels the need to lay but can't or doesn't. She's not egg bound because her vent is totally clean, healthy, and dry. She's not distressed or sick acting at all. She just DOESN'T LAY.

I have a Dark Cornish that has been laying 5-6 eggs per week for 6 weeks now (same age), and they aren't supposed to lay hardly at all.

I also have an EE, a Dark Brahma, and a Hamburg who are 6 months, 2 weeks, and never laid an egg yet.

Wow first eggs after 1 year old! I wonder if Anconas are just prone to be bad to non-layers? I have read in a couple places on the net about Anconas just not laying many eggs at all. Also, I have an Ancona who is 6 months, 2 weeks old, and has laid 4 eggs so far. She lays about 1 egg per week and that's it. It's always an extra large white egg, double yolker every time. I sometimes see her sitting on a nest for an hour or two at a time, and NO EGG. It's like she feels the need to lay but can't or doesn't. She's not egg bound because her vent is totally clean, healthy, and dry. She's not distressed or sick acting at all. She just DOESN'T LAY.

I have a Dark Cornish that has been laying 5-6 eggs per week for 6 weeks now (same age), and they aren't supposed to lay hardly at all.

I also have an EE, a Dark Brahma, and a Hamburg who are 6 months, 2 weeks, and never laid an egg yet.

Awh - poor Ancona. Sounds like your girl would be laying a normal egg more often once she gets that double yolker thing worked out. Maybe that's what is making her lay in the nest but not produce an egg that day.

I thought AC was NEVER going to lay. She's been laying regularly since she started - I guess she's making up for lost time. HAHA! Her eggs are a good size white egg - almost as large as the White Leghorn's egg. And definitely as large as the Lavender Orpington's eggs - and they have been laying since 22 weeks old.

I love my AC, but I don't think I will try raising Anconas any more- they are a beautiful breed but I'm leaning towards pea comb and short comb chicks for the future. Although I do LOVE my white egg girls!

Well whatever it was that made her limp didn't bother her laying abilities and she's back to walking normal. So just must have had a temporary injury.

She's 100% back to herself. Even flew up on my back as I stood at the coop door looking inside. She's such a funny old bird.

I'm glad she's feeling better!

I'm now waiting on a almost 9 month old bird to start laying... I hope she doesn't wait as long as your AC!

I'm glad she's feeling better!

I'm now waiting on a almost 9 month old bird to start laying... I hope she doesn't wait as long as your AC!

Oh no! Yes hope she starts sooner then AC - but remember to "just give up on her" and that's about the time she'll start.
lol.png

Haha, yeah, I'll have to try that :) This time at least I think I know the reason; she had a really bad case of mites when she was young, and I think it may have stunted her growth. Hopefully she'll start soon, though.

Your AC now has a challenger for oldest egg layer ever...Nutella is now almost 11 months- she's a wheaten marans.

Hopefully she'll start soon!

Your AC now has a challenger for oldest egg layer ever...Nutella is now almost 11 months- she's a wheaten marans. 

Hopefully she'll start soon!

Oh no! AC must remain the longevity queen or she will surely stop laying! Haha!

I really hope your pullet starts soon, but if your day light hours and weather are like ours those things will not be in her favor. :(

I've heard wheaten marans can take a long time until they lay. I have a young blue splash maran pullet 14 weeks old and I think she will wait until spring.

Hang in there, fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom