Composite decking ramp - complete failure so far, need advice

You could also make your own non-skid.  Paint the plank, sprinkle course clean(washed) sand, then paint over the sand to hold it in place. Home Depot also sells a deck renew kit that is basically the same (sand in the paint) with a texture roller. But it's sold 2 gallons at a time in the kit.

Was going to suggest the same thing. :) curious how you made out.

Quote: Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Paint = maintenance...something we all would like to avoid
wink.png

2. Paint + plastics ( composite decking is mostly plastic ) are not often sucesful. The plastic just does not like to bond with paint very well at all.

I have over 1800 sq. ft. of composite decking around my house. I have experimented with the leftovers and done a lot of things with this stuff! Some of it is impressive - and some dissapointing
big_smile.png

Yes, my whole reason for spending that much on the more expensive board was that it would not rot, harbor crawly critters like mites, and need maintenence. I only have enough space for about a 6 foot board. I remembered I had some outdoor carpet and tried taping that to the board to see how it would work, but my rooster (my avi photo) still did not make it up the ramp and had to be carried to bed once again. I think I am going to just return this board to Menards and get a wider cedar board and do the rungs again. He certainly seems spry enough when he is jumping on the hens. Funny he can't get up a silly ramp.

Have you tried grooving the board ? I really believe you will find that will work, because it gives them a place for their nails and toes to grip.

Just like raised rungs do....

I just can't groove it too deeply because it is a hollow board. I also now think it may be too narrow for my rooster's widely set cochin legs, even though it is only about an inch narrower than the last ramp. Every other chicken was able to get inside except for him when I put the outdoor carpet on the ramp, and that has plenty of traction. I might just keep this board and put cedar rungs on it that stick out the edge a little to make it wider.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you had a extra piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire to fasten to the board. Trim it on each side so no sharp edges stick outside the board. That should give them all the traction they need

I just can't groove it too deeply because it is a hollow board. I also now think it may be too narrow for my rooster's widely set cochin legs, even though it is only about an inch narrower than the last ramp. Every other chicken was able to get inside except for him when I put the outdoor carpet on the ramp, and that has plenty of traction. I might just keep this board and put cedar rungs on it that stick out the edge a little to make it wider.
1/8th'' or less is all you need - which should not weaken the board for your purpose.

Sounds like you need a wider surface tho...Of course, composites are available in all of the typical widths of dimensional lumber. i.e. - you can get a composite board that is 12'' in width ( some manufacturers make up to 16'' for fascia )

1/8th'' or less is all you need - which should not weaken the board for your purpose.

Sounds like you need a wider surface tho...Of course, composites are available in all of the typical widths of dimensional lumber. i.e. - you can get a composite board that is 12'' in width ( some manufacturers make up to 16'' for fascia )

My board is only 5 3/16" wide which is not wide enough. At Menards and Lowes, 6" wide was as big as I saw when looking online. I think 8" or 10" would be more suitable. Do you know where I can find wider composite boards?

Quote: Not knowing what suppliers are in your are - I would check with Lowe's and Home Depot if they are near by.
However: One could simply join 2 boards together by adding perhaps 3 or 4 2''x2'' across the back of the boards, spaced equally. These could be attached via some wood deck screws. Tha will give you the width you seek.
There are some brands of composite decking which interlock - such as Timbertech'ss Florizon product line.

With any composite - you will need a mid span support, because over time, all lumber will sag or "bow". So at half the distance from the ground to the coop, arrange for concrete blocks, or bricks or similar to add support to the boards..

My ramp is a barn wood plank that i've wrapped with vet wrap and they can get a nice grip on it and i also have it on their roost poles and when it gets nasty i just un wrap it and replace it.

Back
Top Bottom