Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

where did this list come from ? i saw the link but i mean how did they compile the list ? some of the plants don't even have the correct names they use slang words so how can it be trusted. i know for a fact there are things on this list that maybe cant be used raw but with a little work can be used to at least supplement feed. and some things like hemp seed were used in china for forever. you just cant give the animal all one thing. i have read hemp seed increases fatty acids in the eggs and increases egg weight as long as there diet isnt more than 20% hempseed...... and the plant itself isnt called marijuana in cannabis .. marijuana is a spanish slang word that the american government popularized in order to scare the masses into distrusting a plant that was already commonly used by everybody.

also my grandpa was a mixture of different kinds of american indian from far east kentucky. its all deciduous forest you know alot of oaks and he would crush acorns leave them in the running stream next to the house for a day or two.. till it ran clear instead of white than dry it. its how you make acorn flour.. and would supplement his chicken feed with that. something he learned from his mom

maybe its what the chickens always ate so they had adapted though. i dont know
where did this list come from ? i saw the link but i mean how did they compile the list ? some of the plants don't even have the correct names they use slang words so how can it be trusted. i know for a fact there are things on this list that maybe cant be used raw but with a little work can be used to at least supplement feed. and some things like hemp seed were used in china for forever. you just cant give the animal all one thing. i have read hemp seed increases fatty acids in the eggs and increases egg weight as long as there diet isnt more than 20% hempseed...... and the plant itself isnt called marijuana in cannabis .. marijuana is a spanish slang word that the american government popularized in order to scare the masses into distrusting a plant that was already commonly used by everybody.

also my grandpa was a mixture of different kinds of american indian from far east kentucky. its all deciduous forest you know alot of oaks and he would crush acorns leave them in the running stream next to the house for a day or two.. till it ran clear instead of white than dry it. its how you make acorn flour.. and would supplement his chicken feed with that. something he learned from his mom

The posted list was good. Your comment about "slang" is inappropriate considering the audience: common names were used instead of the botanical species names.

Someone kindly went through trouble to post this list. If you have a better, more concise list, please post it. Acorns: yes, acorns CAN be a valuable, high-protein food--IF they are hulled and then soaked in running water for days or weeks, depending on the tannic acid content of the acorn, as different species of oaks produce different levels of it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have acorns on this list. This is a list of what to be careful of, and those plants are of variable toxicity depending on stage of growth, plant part eaten, etc. This is a layman's site, not a scientific paper; be gentle.

I am a gardener, by profession, and I spend a lot of time working with ornamental and often-toxi plants. Toxic does not necessarily mean poisonous. One of my most regular jobs is on a very large property with huge gardens and a large chicken coop. The gal who owns the chickens has been keeping chickens for a long, long time. My general instructions are to put all yard waste into the chicken run. I think their chicken yard is bigger than my front yard!

Anyway, I have expressed concern at times over the past three years about potential harm to the chickens. But the woman believes it's no problem at all. She has not lost any hens to plant material. And all her girls are very healthy. And so I've observed that when I dump a load of material, the chickens jump on it, rip it apart, eat the young, tender whatevers, fight over the slugs and worms that I put in with the weeds, and then scatter the rest. I've never seen them eating tough, older plants (like rhodies or azaleas). I've also seen them taste stuff and reject it.

I do actually feed them some things, but the rest is just piles of waste for them to sort. And I do discard plants in a different brush pile that I am personally uncomfortable giving to them, including euphorbias, foxglove, nightshade.

Probably not a great idea to intentionally feed them tender shoots of harmful plants, but most of the items on this list are mostly like more toxic and irritating than deadly. All good stuff to know, but don't panic.

"Belief" isn't science. In this case, it sounds like the chickens have mounds of non-toxic plants to eat, so they may have taken in plants they shouldn't have in only small amounts. One digitalis (foxglove) bite MIGHT not hurt them. More might kill them. Why risk it? Why NOT sort out the plants you know to be deadly?

Does calling marijuana "cannabis" (correct scientific name) make it more recognizable to lay people? Why nitpick?

This article was so helpful. I wish I new more about plant recognition, I'm afraid I will let the chickens out of their pen and they will die of plant poisoning!
This article was so helpful. I wish I new more about plant recognition, I'm afraid I will let the chickens out of their pen and they will die of plant poisoning!
Cala Lillie's were not on this list does that mean they r ok

NO! I do believe (although you can check and let us know) callas are toxic. No lilies, ever. YES, I know some "day-lilies" are edible, but they are not true lilies. This list was posted out of kindness; it's not comprehensive. Water hemlock wasn't on the list, either (looks almost exactly like Queen Anne's Lace--google some photos of how to tell the difference!) and it's deadly. A comprehensive list would be yards long and would depend on where you live.

Many plants are toxic to animals. the simple fact is animals don't eat those plants, genes that make animals find poisonous plants edible don't stay long in the chain of evolution. I have many poisonous plants around my chickens they simply don't eat them. if animals eat poisonous plants you wouldn't find rabbits or deers in the wild.
Many plants are toxic to animals. the simple fact is animals don't eat those plants, genes that make animals find poisonous plants edible don't stay long in the chain of evolution. I have many poisonous plants around my chickens they simply don't eat them. if animals eat poisonous plants you wouldn't find rabbits or deers in the wild.

This "fact" is absolutely incorrect, or you wouldn't see poisoned animals, period. Ask my otherwise VERY saavy banty who found the pretty red muscaria mushroom. Also, chickens are NOT wild animals; they will eat nails, screws, moldy rye bread, Styrofoam, and nearly anything else. Why would anyone assume they could tell the difference between poisonous plants and non-poisonous?

Hello! I'm in TX and a new chicken lady to 4 six week old ladies (2 Buff Orpington: Fluffy-butt & Prim; and 2 Bared Rocks: Pecka & Pebbles.) Our coop will be up this weekend (moving out of the big house and into Clucking-ham Palace!) but we want to have some natural sun shade with the use of trellis and fast growing vines with white flowers. We have a backyard wedding planned for next March and our coop is white with black hardware. Some of my favorites are: White Rosemary, Common White Jasmine Vine, Moonflower, Iceberg White Roses, & Climbing Sally Homes White Roses. We would also like to plant a White Profusion Butterfly Bush. Are all of these safe for my chickens, children, and dog? Thank you in advance!!!

I'd check on the Jasmine before planting it. Moonflower and Morning Glories are not safe. Roses are, but only if you don't spray for insects and blackspot and other fungus; check catalogs for hardy and fungus resistant varieties, and plant those that are in the middle range of your planting zone so they aren't weakened by the struggle of too cold or too hot. Rosemary; I think it's okay; not positive.

we are getting ready to move our chickens out to their coop and run but it has a huge wisteria vine that crawls around 2 sides of where we were going to put them. Does this mean we have to rethink our spot? Help!

I would site the coop far from the wisteria. They drop enticing toxic seeds everywhere! Also, you'll have wisteria vines popping up all over your run, as they easily spread by underground runners.

Hi! I know this was an old post, but I had to comment

There are a couple things on the list I disagree with

. We run an organic chicken farm. We allow our chickens a lot of pasture, and I have found they eat daffodil shoots and they love my Japanese cherry blossoms. When they fall from the tree they flock to get them. The list states "cherry and daffodil ". Our chickens have been federally inspected and are healthy!

Also, for anyone who wonders.... They love daylilles... At least the grass part. They ate them though before they came into bloom. So, I don't know about the flowers.

Daylily is not a true lily. Most daylilies have edible flowers, although some subspecies (looking identical to the non-toxics) can make humans sick. Cherry: blossoms are unlikely to be toxic, seeds and probably bark, are. Daffodil: bulbs have most of the toxins, and they are a gastric irritant (which can still be really dangerous if severe enough) not an outright poison. Toxicology is a VERY difficult field; it's not as clear cut as a list, but we need lists to help us do the best we can.

This "fact" is absolutely incorrect, or you wouldn't see poisoned animals, period. Ask my otherwise VERY saavy banty who found the pretty red muscaria mushroom. Also, chickens are NOT wild animals; they will eat nails, screws, moldy rye bread, Styrofoam, and nearly anything else. Why would anyone assume they could tell the difference between poisonous plants and non-This "fact" is absolutely incorrect, or you wouldn't see poisoned animals, period. Ask my otherwise VERY saavy banty who found the pretty red muscaria mushroom. Also, chickens are NOT wild animals; they wilpoisonous?
Chickens are wild animals domesticated, all animals are
Nails, screws, moldy rye bread, Styrofoam don't exist in the wild that is why they think they are stones
Banty who found the pretty red muscaria mushroom, did it kill here?.
Try to taste a poisonous plant, then you know why.

Your yard is probably safe enough. Do what you can, and offer your chickens a wonderful life instead of constant confinement. My philosophy, anyway, and I CAN identify the toxic plants growing in my yard. I try to keep the most dangerous out of their reach, and compromise on some others. Just watch after rains for mushrooms in the lawn.

Back
Top Bottom