Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

This is from Chicken Keeping Secrets newsletter http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com I thought that I would post this for you all:

Hi Graham,

I'm glad you wrote and you are right to be concerned about the
oak tree.

You would absolutely need to make sure your chickens do not eat
any dropped acorns.

Oak leaves as well as acorns can be toxic to chickens and as
chickens are very curious eaters, you can't assume that they will
know to keep away from them.

Chickens will eat most anything!

This would include screws, Styrofoam, most anything so everyone
LISTEN - make sure your chickens have an area that is completely
free from anything they should not ingest.

When it comes to plants though, I know that personally I tend to
not be quite as vigilant.

Especially if it is a plant that I've planted in my garden.

For this reason, I think it would be a good idea to re-post a
list of plants that are toxic to poultry. We posted this list
quite some time ago but because we have so many new readers each
week and because we could all use a reminder, check out this list
for the safety of your flock.

ARUM LILY
AMARYLLIS
ARALIA
ARROWHEAD VINE
AUTUMN CROCUS
AUSTRALIAN FLAMETREE
AUSTRALIAN UMBRELLA TREE
AVOCADO
AZALEA
BANEBERRY
BEANS: (CASTOR, HORSE, FAVA, BROAD, GLORY, SCARLET RUNNER,
MESCAL, NAVY, PREGATORY)
BIRD OF PARADISE
BISHOP'S WEED
BLACK LAUREL
BLACK LOCUST
BLEEDING HEART OR DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES
BLOODROOT
BLUEBONNET
BLUEGREEN ALGAE
BOXWOOD
BRACKEN FERN
BUCKTHORN
BULB FLOWERS: (AMARYLLIS, DAFFODIL, NARCISSUS, HYACINTH & IRIS)
BURDOCK
BUTTERCUP
CACAO
CAMEL BUSH
CASTOR BEAN
CALADIUM
CANA LILY
CARDINAL FLOWER
CHALICE (TRUMPET VINE)
CHERRY TREE
CHINA BERRY TREE
CHRISTMAS CANDLE
CLEMATIS (VIRGINIA BOWER)
CLIVIA
COCKLEBUR
COFFEE (SENNA)
COFFEE BEAN (RATTLEBUSH, RATTLE BOX & COFFEEWEED)
CORAL PLANT
CORIANDER
CORNCOCKLE
COYOTILLO
COWSLIP
CUTLEAF PHILODENDRON
DAFFODIL
DAPHNE
DATURA STRAMONIUM (ANGEL'S TRUMPET)
DEATH CAMUS
DELPHINIUM
DEVIL'S IVY
DIEFFENBACHIA (DUMB CANE)
ELDERBERRY
ELEPHANT EAR (TARO)
ENGLISH IVY
ERGOT
EUCALYPTUS (DRIED, DYED OR TREATED IN FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS)
EUONYMUS (SPINDLE TREE)
EUPHORBIA CACTUS
FALSE HELLEBORE
FLAME TREE
FELT PLANT (MATERNITY, AIR & PANDA PLANTS)
FIG (WEEPING)
FIRE THORN
FLAMINGO FLOWER
FOUR O'CLOCK
FOXGLOVE
GLOTTIDIUM
GOLDEN CHAIN
GRASS: (JOHNSON, SORGHUM, SUDAN & BROOM CORN)
GROUND CHERRY
HEATHS: (KALMIA, LEUCOTHO, PEIRES, RHODODENDRON, MTN. LAUREL,
BLACK LAUREL, ANDROMEDA & AZALEA)
HELIOTROPE
HEMLOCK: (POISON & WATER)
HENBANE
HOLLY
HONEYSUCKLE
HORSE CHESTNUT
HORSE TAIL
HOYA
HYACINTH
HYDRANGEA
IRIS IVY: (ENGLISH & OTHERS)
JACK-IN-THE-PULPIT
JASMINE (JESSAMINE)
JERUSALEM CHERRY
JIMSONWEED
JUNIPER
KY. COFFEE TREE
LANTANA (RED SAGE)
LARKSPUR
LILY OF THE VALLEY
LILY, ARUM
LOBELIA
LOCOWEED (MILK VETCH)
LOCUSTS, BLACK / HONEY
LORDS & LADIES (CUCKOOPINT)
LUPINE
MALANGA
MARIJUANA (HEMP)
MAYAPPLE (MANDRAKE)
MEXICAN BREADFRUIT
MEXICAN POPPY
MILKWEED, COTTON BUSH
MISTLETOE
MOCK ORANGE
MONKSHOOD
MOONSEED
MORNING GLORY
MTN. LAUREL
MUSHROOMS, AMANITA
MYRTLE
NARCISSUS
NETTLES
NIGHTSHADES: (DEADLY, BLACK, GARDEN, WOODY, BITTERSWEET,
EGGPLANT, JERUSALEM CHERRY)
OAK
OLEANDER
OXALIS
PARSLEY
PEACE LILY
PERIWINKLE
PHILODENDRONS: (SPLIT LEAF, SWISS CHEESE, HEART-LEAF)
PIGWEED
POINCIANA
POINSETTIA
POISON IVY
POISON HEMLOCK
POISON OAK: (WESTERN & EASTERN)
POKEWEED
POTATO SHOOTS
POTHOS
PRIVET
PYRACANTHA
RAIN TREE
RANUNCULUS, BUTTERCUP
RAPE
RATTLEBOX, CROTALARIA
RED MAPLE
RED SAGE (LANTANA)
RHUBARB LEAVES
RHODODENDRONS
ROSARY PEA SEEDS
SAND BOX TREE
SKUNK CABBAGE
SORREL (DOCK)
SNOW DROP
SPURGES: (PENCIL TREE, SNOW-ON-MTN, CANDELABRA, CROWN OF THORNS)
STAR OF BETHLEHEM
SWEET PEA
SWISS CHEESE PLANT (MONSTERA)
TANSY RAGWORT
TOBACCO
UMBRELLA PLANT
VETCH: HAIRY/COMMON
VIRGINIA CREEPER
WATTLE
WEEPING FIG
WHITE CEDAR, CHINA BERRY
WISTERIA
YEWS
YELLOW JASMINE

...I hope you're still here and read through the list.

I know that as I typed it, I was reminded of many very common
plants that I had forgotten were unsafe for my flock.

Again for Graham, I applaud you for being concerned about the
safety of your flock and hope you can come up with a workable
solution for your chickens.

Visit us now for more great chicken keeping advice...

http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com/blog/

I have to say I found the list of plants that are toxic to chickens very interesting. I've had my chickens totally free ranging (except at night) for six years. I have dozens of the plants, listed as toxic, on our large property, and have not had trouble with sick chickens. Ok, I've had a couple of sick chickens, but it's been the pox and things like that. On the whole, a very healthy bunch. This doesn't mean I'm complacent about it, but I can't uproot half the garden, including two very old and majestic oak trees. Just intending safety for my girls (and boy!).

I have to say I found the list of plants that are toxic to chickens very interesting. I've had my chickens totally free ranging (except at night) for six years. I have dozens of the plants, listed as toxic, on our large property, and have not had trouble with sick chickens. Ok, I've had a couple of sick chickens, but it's been the pox and things like that. On the whole, a very healthy bunch. This doesn't mean I'm complacent about it, but I can't uproot half the garden, including two very old and majestic oak trees. Just intending safety for my girls (and boy!).

My pullets would eat everything in sight and my hens ignored everything in favour of digging up the ground. I have plants on that list too. As my pullets got older they started to ignore the vegetation more (except for grass) and apparently they have to eat a lot of it to get sick (my experienced chicken friend told me this). If they have access to their proper food, they shouldn’t pay too much attention to the poisonous stuff. That said, I shoo them away from it if I see them near it.

It is often PARTS of a particular plant that are toxic. Or a certain growth stage. These lists are often not written with birds in mind either, as they won't eat some of these things ever. But a sheep, a horse, a cow, or a child, were to eat some of these plants, they would be poisioned.

(I am a veterinarian. I have treated mammals for posionings due to ingestion of some of these plants)
Part of the problem with a list of "toxic" plants is defining the term "toxic". It could mean, "causes skin irritation if eaten in excess". That kind of definition is much different than what we usually think of, which is, "fatal".

Personally, I find that list at least 50% hooey. I have tons of those plants in my yard and have directly observed my birds eating some of them, e.g. ground cherries (heck, I eat ground cherries...how can they be considered toxic??).

Overall, I'm much more concerend about man-made substances than plants growing in my yard.
Part of the problem with a list of "toxic" plants is defining the term "toxic". It could mean, "causes skin irritation if eaten in excess". That kind of definition is much different than what we usually think of, which is, "fatal".

Personally, I find that list at least 50% hooey. I have tons of those plants in my yard and have directly observed my birds eating some of them, e.g. ground cherries (heck, I eat ground cherries...how can they be considered toxic??).

Overall, I'm much more concerend about man-made substances than plants growing in my yard.

Things like liver and kidney damage are progressive; just because a chicken doesn't fall over dead in front of you doesn't mean it's "hooey." Read note by veterinarian...

Great list! Long... but great. Kinda makes the newbie like me look around my yard in a panic lol!

I have MANY of these plants in my wildflower garden...where the girls often spend time. If they don't show an interest in those particular plants, I let it go. Of course, I am taking a risk. I avoid those that make interesting seed pods. Chickens can't resist seeds.

I actually have a turkey who must have eaten some philodendron and is in horrible pain! I've been giving him baby asprin to help, but can we still eat him if he doesn't heal? We thought about culling him early; not sure how long I want to see him doing poorly...any treatment or thoughts? I've been giving him yogurt to soothe and he's eating well, just not walking and is drooling...be 3 days now :(

Drooling? He might have sour crop. Personally I prefer, after many well researched but failed attempts to cure severe illnesses, to mercifully kill my (pet) chickens so they don't suffer longer. Would I risk eating that turkey? Only if stranded in the winter on the Oregon Trail....

Highly doubt marijuana seeds killed the roo unless your family member was smoking hydroponic from an unscrupulous grower or seller. I have known a few people in the business and one kid we boarded for a bit was using battery acid, concrete powder, fly spray, hair spray, and basically anything and everything to make the buds he sold worth more because of the toxic effects. This had nothing to do with the marijuana but the seeds in there would have been dangerous.

Marijuana seeds are often fed, legally, to animals. They are in fact an incredibly nutrient rich source that is well worth including in their diet... If you can legally get it where you are. Now they're being sold for human consumption too, but dehulled so you can't grow them, which is stupid, because the endosperm contains the most nutrience... Like eating white bread as opposed to wholegrain. The oil is sold to be consumed and used as a beauty and therapeutic product too. So much for toxic.

I think the vet just couldn't figure out what was wrong with the roo, decided it was poisoned, and blamed it on weed seeds. Pet chooks are at an enormous risk of poisoning because they often live in suburbia and that entire environment is swamped with anti-biological toxins... He probably ate a bug-sprayed cockroach or moth or something. Weed seeds are used as poultry fodder especially, but also fed to all livestock, pets, and humans. Now they are only legal dehulled but in old times they were of course fed whole.

If all farms grew "marijuana" (hemp or various things it is confused with, but synonymous with nonetheless) --- like the law used to be --- they would have a smaller 'footprint' ecologically because of how multipurpose the plant is. It has uses far beyond 'getting high' not least of which are medicinal uses for which it should be legalized immediately, never mind its textile, nutritional, and other uses. No, I'm not a smoker, but neither am I caught up in the propaganda against that plant, which was initially deliberately misclassified as marijuana to allow its illegalization because it posed such a threat against the petrochemical byproduct industry, namely plastics, especially in textiles. It used to be law that every farm had to grow hemp because of how useful it was.

It is not actually 'marijuana', which is a toxic plant nobody smokes or uses, but to which it looks similar; but it's called marijuana since the commercial textiles industries weighed in to banish it as competition, so that's what it's recognized as and that's what we'll call it.

HEMP seed is fine. Marijuana contains THC, which is NOT fine.

This is fantastic! I have neen using garlic and cayenne but its a chore to mince all that garlic for as often as it seems to need done, how often and in what quantity do you give it to your chickens?
Interesting about the moon too! I'll have to try it!
I just ordered some Black Walnut Hulls, with Wormwood powdered capsules off Amazon to try and am starting with one capsule a day mixed in their feed, I wonder if it'd grow here? I debated when I saw it online and almost bought the seeds instead, I may have to try it!
Thank you once again for all your helpful tips!

Be very careful with wormwood. Personally I don't understand experimenting with toxic substances on living creatures unless you check with experts in the field (not salespeople) first...

I am a gardener, by profession, and I spend a lot of time working with ornamental and often-toxi plants. Toxic does not necessarily mean poisonous. One of my most regular jobs is on a very large property with huge gardens and a large chicken coop. The gal who owns the chickens has been keeping chickens for a long, long time. My general instructions are to put all yard waste into the chicken run. I think their chicken yard is bigger than my front yard!

Anyway, I have expressed concern at times over the past three years about potential harm to the chickens. But the woman believes it's no problem at all. She has not lost any hens to plant material. And all her girls are very healthy. And so I've observed that when I dump a load of material, the chickens jump on it, rip it apart, eat the young, tender whatevers, fight over the slugs and worms that I put in with the weeds, and then scatter the rest. I've never seen them eating tough, older plants (like rhodies or azaleas). I've also seen them taste stuff and reject it.

I do actually feed them some things, but the rest is just piles of waste for them to sort. And I do discard plants in a different brush pile that I am personally uncomfortable giving to them, including euphorbias, foxglove, nightshade.

Probably not a great idea to intentionally feed them tender shoots of harmful plants, but most of the items on this list are mostly like more toxic and irritating than deadly. All good stuff to know, but don't panic.

I worked for a vet. Bone splinters kill dogs. They perforate the intestine and the dog dies a horrible death from peritonitis. (I work in human surgery now, and have done bowel resections on human patients with peritonitis from bone splinters..) When I explain to people that bone splinters kill dogs, I almost always get the reply "we always gave our dogs bones, and it didn't hurt them none." I ask: what DID they die of? "We dunno...they just died." I'm glad you try to separate out the plants you know can be poisonous. Thank you, kind person!

Back
Top Bottom