Concern for baby chick that was bought at store!!!

Familyofchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
i recently got 4 new baby chicks at a farm store for my lone baby chick however, one of the chicks I've gotten seem to be very off from the other 3 and my baby chick from home. He seems to sleep a lot more than everyone of them and plays very little. He also poops a mint green color which concerns me the most because none of my chicks have pooped this color before. He will eat here and there and drink water but then go right back to sleep. He need heat a lot as well and when he leave it he is chirping for the warmth. I don't know how old this baby is but he looks older than my baby chick by 2-3 days and my baby chick is 4 days old.

I don't know if this is a concerning situation but I'm so worried that I might lose him! He is the cutest little baby and I just need to help him asap. Please let me know your thoughts and what I could do. I don't know if it is from what he was eating in the store and what they did but I'm so worried for him :( I will attach a photo as to how his poop looks like.

This is him and the poop I was talking about. Please please help me!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Poultry nutri drench is my go - to for all sorts of health issues. All of my chicks get it for the first 2 weeks, even if they karate kick out of the shell and are climbing walls from that moment forward.

What are you using for a heat source? What is the temp under the heat, and at the opposite end of the brooder? What are you feeding them? What is the mill date on the feed?

Your cute tiny chick is likely a "failure-to-thrive". Some chicks hatch with under-developed organs, such as a digestive system that can't support their nutritional needs.

They don't grow. They aren't able to convert calories into body heat so are always seeking a heat source. The green poop may indicate the chick isn't taking in enough food.

I agree the Poultry Nutri-drench is your best shot. I've had good luck turning such a chick as yours around with special feedings of crumbled tofu or minced boiled egg with Nutri-drench sprinkled on top.

Hi guys just thought I come back and update y'all. My baby Boba passed away that night of this thread. I did research and it was because Boba was starving to death. I should have gotten another one like him to bring home so he feels comfortable but I thought he would've played with my little one at home. I'm bummed out that I lost my little baby. I just know he's in a better place now where he isn't suffering. Thank you all for the kind help!

Back
Top Bottom