Concrete Flooring

BrandyMom2AFew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Willamette Valley
What kind of bedding could I use on top of that? We have a large shed that was built and never finished in our back yard, it is wired for electricity and seperated into two partitions one of which is 7'x15' which would make a very nice sized coop with a 15'x45' run attached.

The problem is the concrete floors... Not sure what to do with them.

I use a good depth of shavings indoors (is excellent coop flooring, virtually totally ratproof and everythingelse-proof).

For the coupla my runs that are unavoidably on slab I make sure to keep them covered in at least 6" (ideally more) of "whatever is handy"... dried raked leaves and/or mowed and raked dead ditchgrass in the fall, horse stall cleanings (mainly shavings) and hay sweepings in the winter, nontoxic garden weedings in the spring and summer. Mind, mine are roofed so they don't get too squishy, and if you live somewhere that doesn't get too much freezing winter weather sand might well be better. It's not the ideal situation for a run, but can be lived with if you gotta, my chickens seem adequately happy with it anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Have seen pictures of wooden floors w/linoleum or vinyl floor covering. Would that suffice? Hope to see more posts on this subject as I was thinking about a slab for a floor w/styrofoam insulation underneath.

Deep litter is great on concrete. It's also great on dirt floors. And wooden flooring with vinyl covering. Yah, deep litter. That's the best way to go.

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom