Confounded by Sicilian buttercup chicks shunning their heat cave

I am going to take this opportunity to update this thread .

My Buttercups continue to be amazing creatures. They scurry around the run seemingly unaware that they are the smallest chickens in the flock, half the size of the others. They move always at top speed, reminding me of little windup toys going in unpredictable directions.

But their latest remarkable feat is, number one, waiting until January to molt. Nothing like waiting until the coldest time of the year to drop all your feathers as if to boast, "So what's a little cold?" And on top of that, they continue to lay eggs, pretty much the same size as the larger hens.

One of them continues to be picked on by no other chickens than by her sister Scotty. So Saffron decided to just pack her things and move out of the main coop into the smaller coop, bolding crowding onto the perch with the four youngest flock members. She very aptly demonstrates each night what "ruling the roost" means.

These freebies at the end of "TSC Chick Days" were such a gift. Literally.

If I didn't have these remarkable critters, I'd move heaven and earth to get me some. They are somewhat rare. I checked Privett's breed list and Buttercups are not on it. These tiny things must have been a little experiment or something. They have zero problem fitting in with the larger chickens. They are fierce and independent. But they do let me cuddle them occasionally.

It also makes me wonder if they'd do as well being the only Buttercup in a flock.
They should be fine even if they're the only one. Mine is feisty for sure. Gets her scolded by the head hen a lot (jumping and spurs and all that), as she gets cocky, but she's such a quick little thing she can just zip away from trouble.

:hit Darn it, @azygous, now I want some, and there is no room in my inn for a single 'nother bird! I also want some blue egg layers and I have to wait until at least the spring of '24 to cull any of my existing flock! (Thinking of CLLs but it's not set in stone yet. Could be blue wheaten Araucanas ...) Your lovely ladies just sound so endearingly special!

Back
Top Bottom