Pics
Is it mostly just genetics or can it be how they’re raised too?
It's both.

A mean rooster will pass on his genes, & make more mean male offspring. Handling/Taming them is more difficult.

A friendly rooster will pass on his genes, & produce friendly male offspring, taming will be alot easier with these guys.

It's both.

A mean rooster will pass on his genes, & make more mean male offspring. Handling/Taming them is more difficult.

A friendly rooster will pass on his genes, & produce friendly male offspring, taming will be alot easier with these guys.

Thanks!! Very helpful!!!

there is a Black Australorp in there. Can’t tell it apart from the Andalusian though

I would expect the Australorp to be bigger, and the Andalusian more slender.
I can't remember how early earlobe color shows up, but Australorp (bigger bird) is supposed to have red earlobes and Andalusian is supposed to have white earlobes. They are also supposed to lay different colors of eggs, but that won't help distinguish between males. :lau

I would expect the Australorp to be bigger, and the Andalusian more slender.
I can't remember how early earlobe color shows up, but Australorp (bigger bird) is supposed to have red earlobes and Andalusian is supposed to have white earlobes. They are also supposed to lay different colors of eggs, but that won't help distinguish between males. :lau

Thanks!! Very helpful!! Tbh I haven’t really looked at them too closely or handled them much so I’m sure the differences are quite easy to see :oops:

I think I have a pretty good idea of which one is the Andalusian now but I need to look closer to be sure. They still look so similar. I’ll look when I move them out maybe. Or maybe today.

I think what’s throwing me off is neither one appears to be much bigger than the other. I had thought the “one should be slender” thing too but I can’t really see a noticeable difference. :confused:

I think I have a pretty good idea of which one is the Andalusian now but I need to look closer to be sure. They still look so similar. I’ll look when I move them out maybe. Or maybe today.

I think what’s throwing me off is neither one appears to be much bigger than the other.

It will probably become more obvious as they get older. Sometimes it's funny which things are obvious early on, and which things are not obvious.

I also just remembered-- some big chickens seem to grow extra-fast when young, and other big chickens grow at a normal rate but for a longer time. I don't know which way an Australorp would grow. (Cornish Cross of course grow really fast, while Brahmas are known for being slow growers that EVENTUALLY get really big, just to pick the first two examples I thought of.)

It will probably become more obvious as they get older. Sometimes it's funny which things are obvious early on, and which things are not obvious.

I also just remembered-- some big chickens seem to grow extra-fast when young, and other big chickens grow at a normal rate but for a longer time. I don't know which way an Australorp would grow. (Cornish Cross of course grow really fast, while Brahmas are known for being slow growers that EVENTUALLY get really big, just to pick the first two examples I thought of.)

Yeah, it really is!! And it’s also funny how much their color patterns and stuff can change!!

I’m sure I’ll be able to tell when I catch them to move them out. :)

And that’s a good point!! I have 2 Australorps currently and I think they grew at a pretty normal rate but I don’t really remember exactly because they’re 4 years old. I do know they took a while to complete fill out. Same with my BR. They reached their adult size but they weren’t really fully filled out/done growing for at least a couple years.

Maybe cockerels grow slower? Mine are hens but maybe this one is a cockerel. :(

Back
Top Bottom