Connecticut!

what did you have to do? I have a bunch of pullets laying...I think this is one that I need to know. Thanks!!

I soaked her for a couple of hours and the egg came off. Now I'm following this from my post to the emergency section:

Originally Posted by Wyandottes7

I'm not sure what to do about the egg hanging out. I'd defninitely try a warm water bath to help her pass the egg. However, I'm not sure quite what to do. Is it possible that you could take her to a vet? I know that some people take their birds with a prolapse and hanging egg to a vet, and the vet can remove the egg.

Once the egg is out of the way, here's what you should do:

• Isolate her from the other birds. Birds will pick at red tissue and blood. You don't want the prolapse to get worse due to irritation.
  • Keep the prolapse moist. Put some honey on the prolapse to help shrink the swelling. Witch Hazel also helps. Some people use Preparation H. However, when I had a bird with a prolapse, I used just honey and Witch Hazel.
  • Continue giving her warm water baths (95 degrees) each day. This will help keep the prolapse clean and moist. It will also relax the hen's muscles so that the prolapse can be drawn back into the body.
  • Stop the hen from laying any more. Keep her in the dark, and withhold feed for most of the day. Give food only at night. This will help her stop laying, and will prevent a lot of food from going to her system. Producing a lot of droppings irriatates the prolapse, and can coat it with a white substance.
  • Give calcium. Calcium will strenghen the egg laying muscles and will help her heal. It will also help prevent further prolapses.
  • About twice a day, gently push the prolapse back into the hens body and hold it there for a minute or two. This will help her retract the prolapse back in, and strengthen her muscles. Don't do this too often though, as it can irriate the prolapse.

Everything that I described is what I did when my chicken had a prolapse. She didn't have it as bad as yours, as she didn't have a egg hanging out. Hopefully, your bird will recover just like mine did!

It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for a bird to fully recover from a prolapsed vent. My bird recovered within 3 days, but it may take a longer time or a shorter time. Some hens will have prolapsed vents again and again throughout their life, so some people advise to not keep hens that have prolapsed. However, it has been a long time since my hen prolapsed, and she has been just fine since then.

Hope this helps! Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Soaked her again this afternoon, pushed it back in while in the water and held. When water went down I put vaseline on and kept in. She's still trying to push it out but she's in better spirits than yesterday. I'm keeping her in the house in the dark with water and will give her something to eat tonight when I put fresh paper in the cat/dog carrier she's in (going in after the water it gets soaked). Planning on getting her in water at 6am before work tomorrow to try to push it back in (with water cleaning it). She's getting a white coating from poop so would rather clean that off a bit before pushing it back in.

Came back from the Durham Fair today, were some decent birds but not much jaw opening. There were a some empty cages when I was there cause it was the 1st day of fair and more birds to be added but seen some nice big White Plymouth Rocks and a Buff Brahma. Don't know anything about bantams but there might of been good birds.

I was looking for good Black Australorps, there were about 4-5 BA hens at the fair but they seemed small.. My BA flock is about the size of hens at the fair and there only 5 months old.

Last edited:
Soaked her again this afternoon, pushed it back in while in the water and held.  When water went down I put vaseline on and kept in.  She's still trying to push it out but she's in better spirits than yesterday.  I'm keeping her in the house in the dark with water and will give her something to eat tonight when I put fresh paper in the cat/dog carrier she's in (going in after the water it gets soaked). Planning on getting her in water at 6am before work tomorrow to try to push it back in (with water cleaning it). She's getting a white coating from poop so would rather clean that off a bit before pushing it back in. 

Best of luck with that. I'll be thinking of you.

She's still the same. She doesn't want to keep it in her. She keeps straining.
sad.png
Will keep persevering as long as she's not suffering.

Back
Top Bottom