Considering radar detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everyone else that your son should drive within the posted speed limits. But obviously, it may be that he is a grown man living on his own. If that's the case, I would let him buy his own radar detector. Because even if he is a grown man, you would still be encouraging his unsafe driving. His safety and that of everyone drivin around him is what's most important, IMHO.

Ok, Im going out on a limb here. Granted the op's son may still be young and living at home, so yes, he should learn to drive more responsibly. But how many of the ones that posted "drive the limit" are adults and how many of YOU drive the limit... I myself drive over the limit in a few places here where I live. And have you ever tried to drive in Atlanta traffic, going the speed limit? Driving 65 when everyone else is doing 85 isnt really safe. Just saying. Are we all practicing what we preach?

Radar dectectors are a gimick that give drivers a false sense of security. The device goes off after the speeder has been detected, and they are illegal in some states.

Quote:
X6?
thumbsup.gif

We made a huge mistake by buying our first child a sporty red car shortly after he got his license. We warned him before he took it out the first time that he needed to take it easy because the little car had more punch than our family minivan. When we got home from a function that night he was already home and we knew something was wrong. He was sitting on his bed and had his license, a speeding ticket, and his keys in his hand. He told us what happened, and Hubs got the scissors and calmly cut his license into 50 pieces and took the keys.

We told him he couldn't drive again till his court date, but we did relent a bit and let him get his license replaced after five weeks. When the woman at the DMV asked why it needed to be replace, my son told her what happened. We didn't know it but she entered it in the computer, and it reflected on his driving record when the judge pulled it in court a few weeks later. The judge asked him about it and my son explained it in front of a whole courtroom full of people. The judge said his job would be a lot easier if more parents did what we did. He got probation before judgement and a day of community service to be spent at the landfill. For a kid who hated to be dirty, this was definitely a punishment that fit the crime. LOL. Almost 20 years have passed, and I think he has had one ticket since then.

The moral of the story is that your son will learn more from this if you do not make it easy for him to repeat it.

Good luck!

Quote:
X6?
thumbsup.gif

We made a huge mistake by buying our first child a sporty red car shortly after he got his license. We warned him before he took it out the first time that he needed to take it easy because the little car had more punch than our family minivan. When we got home from a function that night he was already home and we knew something was wrong. He was sitting on his bed and had his license, a speeding ticket, and his keys in his hand. He told us what happened, and Hubs got the scissors and calmly cut his license into 50 pieces and took the keys.

We told him he couldn't drive again till his court date, but we did relent a bit and let him get his license replaced after five weeks. When the woman at the DMV asked why it needed to be replace, my son told her what happened. We didn't know it but she entered it in the computer, and it reflected on his driving record when the judge pulled it in court a few weeks later. The judge asked him about it and my son explained it in front of a whole courtroom full of people. The judge said his job would be a lot easier if more parents did what we did. He got probation before judgement and a day of community service to be spent at the landfill. For a kid who hated to be dirty, this was definitely a punishment that fit the crime. LOL. Almost 20 years have passed, and I think he has had one ticket since then.

The moral of the story is that your son will learn more from this if you do not make it easy for him to repeat it.

Good luck!

That's a great story!

Why would anyone want to encourage their kid to speed by getting them a radar detector? There are way too many accidents from this.. Am I the only one who wouldn't want to be IDing my sons body at the county morgue?

I don't have kids... Yet.. But when I do, I would do the exact same thing you did (minus buying them a car
lol.png
)

My grandma had a radar detector, we were teasing her about it, and had her convinced that the reason they outlawed lead based paint for cars is because the lead in the paint shielded the car from radar. It was quite a hoot.

Quote:
actually I do drive the speed limit... I have a commercial drivers licence and if I get points on my licence it not only affects me but my employer.. what affects my employer affects all of us... even if I am driving my own personal vehicle and get a speeding ticket I can loose my job every year at review the office will pull an abstract on everyone..

There was a woman arrested recently near my town for giving alcohol to minors who in turn crashed and killed a passenger. Giving your son a device to "get away" with speeding is all to similar to the example I gave. I did a job for the state trooper that had to go arrest the mother who supplied the booze... she got 7 years, a lot of time to think things through. I apologize for the harshness.

Dar, I can understand you driving the limit. I dont want everyone to think Im advocating speeding. I have had 1 ticket in my driving life, driving 65 in a 55 when I was late for a college class. I dont drive 90 everywhere I go, lol. Rarely I go over about 5 miles over the posted speed, unless Im in a real hurry or on a highway and everyone else is passing me like Im standing still. The OP asked for recommendations on radar detectors, instead she got a lecture on her sons driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom