Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Danz, you're in all of our thoughts & prayers today.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well we just got back a bit ago. We bought pavers for a short path to the chicken coop where the mud is the worst. I already leveled out sand and put the pavers down. It looks really nice and I'm glad I won't be 2 or 3 inches deep in water and mud anymore. We ran around Wichita getting some things we needed, had lunch and got a chance to really talk. SOoooo nice!! I'm now running some laundry quick before I need to get my oldest at the bus stop.

Those chicks are sooo darned cute!! I hope the little yellow chick will be okay. It does kind of look like he might need a hobble. I'm sure you'll be on top of whatever he needs. :)

Absolutely!!! Can't even tell you how much fun we had today running around together. We need more days like that. We started talking about a vacation for just the two of us away from our 3 munchkins. Don't know when we'll do that, though! ha!

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no, I figured she was in the midst of family crisis. Danz, I'm thinking of you and have been praying every little chance I get for you, your mom and your family. I'm so very sorry. I completely understand not wanting to be on BYC for a while.

4. Trish44

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    IVY, that's a cute little chick, but I can tell by the way it's holding it's leg that it may have a little problem with it.

I had my last chick from the first batch hatch today, so that will be it for a couple more weeks before the ones in the bator are ready to go. I just won some Welsummer eggs on eBay, so I will be adding those when they get here to the other incubator. I hope to find a cabinet incubator soon so I have more room & don't have to worry so much about space & juggling between incubators. If anyone sees a used GQF for sale for a reasonable price shoot me a PM. I may have a lead on one, but I don't know yet since I only just heard some may be for sale but no details. I will really be needing the space once I get my breeder coop built & get breeds separated since I will be hatching even more eggs. I hope to get my DH on the building as soon as this marathon is over at the end of the month in OKC. I know better than to even ask him to do it before that's over because he's still training.

rvroman, it was nice to meet you today, I didn't look my best since I had just gotten out of the shower & didn't have my hair done yet. I hope the chicks made the trip OK, I will look forward to updates on them & pics of course. It will be interesting to see how they feather out.

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    http://wichita.craigslist.org/grd/2941038520.html

Trish-Did you see this one? I haven't seen one with the unfinished plywood like this, but no one had ever seen one with the red plywood like my old one, either, and my old one works every bit as well as the newer one. I wouldn't be afraid of the old ones at all. All the parts if you need a replacement are available through the GQF website as well as through other dealers.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think that's the same one Trish was looking at last week but she assumed it was sold because the guy never answered her back. My guess is that the emails are going to his spam folder and he's not looking there. Such a pity he didn't put in a phone number so he can be contacted directly. Who knows how many people have tried to email him about it. Trish, you might try again and hope this time it goes through and he sees it. Not much else you can do, I suppose....

7. Trish44

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    IVY, yes I have seen that one & actually know who it belongs to. I was kind of told to be wary of it due to it being wafer board. I still may look at it if I get the chance, there was someone else who may have one for sale, it's someone actually on here & the poultry swap that told me they knew someone who may be selling a couple of them. I'm kind of waiting to find out details & price first. The one may be out of my price range, but I won't know until they decide if they're selling it for sure or not & how much they want for it. That one I guess is only a year old, but I don't know details on the other one. I'm going to Wichita tomorrow, so I may just stop in & look at that one anyway & see what I think. I think I would rather have a little newer one, but I also don't have full price saved up to buy a brand new one as of yet & I really would like to get one soon. I'm kind of torn between getting something I already know is there & waiting for an unknown. However, it may be better to wait for a newer one if I can. That is kind of the back & forth thinking I've been having.

8. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    Ivy, those chicks almost make me want more. (Who am I kidding, of course I want more.[​IMG] ) Thanks for updating us about Danz; I'll keep her and her family in my thoughts.

Hawkeye, your guess is as good a guess as any as to why there are so many roos in the pullet bin. I wouldn't mind that much if my town hadn't just officially outlawed those poor roos. Not that my tiny flock could handle two of them, but one would be nice. I like to hear the crowing and it's not like they do it all day and night.

I like time with my DH, too. We work together very well; always have. We've remodeled two houses together and now do the mowing jobs together. He works 24-hour shifts, so when he's gone, he's GONE, but when he's here, we get a lot done.

Sunshine, wow! That's some bad luck. I'll quit complaining about my roos now. [​IMG]

Dorothy and Rose:
    [​IMG]

Stan:
    [​IMG]

Blanche, who has the most awesome muffs:
    [​IMG]

Bedtime on the ice-cold rock (we have to put them in the crate every night):
    [​IMG]

We planted some eggplants at the community garden, and leeks and another round of carrots at the bonus garden (the guy we mow for). Then I got my herb spiral planted and now it's naptime!
    [​IMG]
    From top to bottom, we have summer savory and curry plant (first time I've seen those two in several years), thyme, oregano, two types of rosemary, basil, Thai basil, purple basil, marjoram, two parsleys, tarragon and chives. I moved the sage to a bed where I won't mind it getting so overgrown, and planted some dill in a pot. The lovely orange cord goes to the light in the young chickens' crate because it's not insulated and it still gets cold at night.

9. Trish44

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Cherwill, I love your herb garden! I have an herb garden on the side of the hill by my driveway & patio. The chickens have done a number on it & my flower beds this year. I'm lucky I have any flowers left at all the way they have dug all around in them. Between them & the pups digging & laying in my flowers I just have a hard time having any & I love flowers. This morning I went out & Jasmine was laying right on one of my big flower bushes by the front door. Those dogs think the plants are just something to lay on & cool off. They especially like my lirope that I have planted out by the walkway to the garage. It's smashed flat most of the time from them laying on it. I'm going to have to go get them a baby swimming pool soon so they have something to lay in & cool off, then maybe they won't be laying in my fish pond so much, notice I said maybe.

Well I finally got my DH out there this morning for an hour or so to help me work on getting the last rabbit hutch back together. I had to put wire on the bottoms of the wood part that is their boxes on the back because the wood bottoms had rotted out. Wood bottoms on a rabbit hutch aren't a good idea anyway, so I would have taken them off even if they weren't totally rotted out. The wire allows the urine & droppings to just drop out the bottom. We had already done one of these hutches so we did this one a lot easier & faster than the first one. Now I have to find some plywood for the top roof on the box part & some roofing material. I hope to find some more of the same red corrugated stuff that my friend had used for the other one. We hinged the top on that so that it could be lifted up to get to the rabbits if necessary. I'm trying to get all the outside hutches fixed up before it gets too hot. I still don't have quite enough for them all, but I plan to sell a couple more also & that will give me more room to bring more out. I have one more hutch out there that needs a new roof & then I need to work on the double one that is there. It needs some sides cut out & wire put on to give more air circulation for the summer. There is always something to do around here.

10. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Trish44, it was wonderful meeting you too! I am in awe of your beautiful land and house, and your puppy girls were awesome. I would have taken both of them as well if I could. The chicks are in their brooder safe and sound, they were great on the drive home, no fuss or anything. I named the Ameraucana Scarlett and the EE Midge (well DH came up with that one). I will post pics on here as soon as I get some time, probably this weekend thanks to a pharmacolgy exam!

Thank you again for the babies, they are awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by