Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Yeah, When i first started chickens, I had several people tell me that I should start with silkies, but my thought was - BUT they don't look like real chickens! LOL. Now I want some that don't look like real chickens. I LOVE the fact that they are so much more socialable than other chickens and I don't mind that they are broody either, as I probably won't ever own an incubator. Nothing like the natural ones.. and I think it would be awesome to watch a mom teaching her little ones! How old are your two? I was wondering about the crowing. Because they are so much smaller, I wonder if their crow is also smaller. I know that I'm chancing on getting roos, but I already have a few people that would be more than happy to take them if that's the case. Yay.. nothing like planning in advance!

Thanks for the update Ivy. I've really been thinking about her all day. I completely understand why she would want to be with family and not be on here! I personally know how hard it is, so my thoughts are that she's taking care of herself as well!

These two are absolutely adorable!! What kind are they??

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Let's see....Renee said they were about 10-11 weeks old when I got them and I've had them almost 6 weeks now so, that makes them 16-17 weeks. Still a little while before they'll be fully mature. I've been terrible about taking photos this year and so far haven't taken a single one of them [​IMG] I'll have to see if I can't do something about that soon.

Cherwill - I LOVE that herb spiral! I've grown herbs for several years but they don't look as good as that. Maybe at the new place I can get more adventurous. How long did it take you to set it up?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Ivy, thanks for letting us know about Danz' mom. Praying for Verna, her mom's peaceful passing, and the rest of the family.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Just have to say "by george, I think they got it!" My chicks have put themselves to bed in the coop all my themselves for the third night in a row! (and it's not even fully dark out yet. LOL) Now the ducks, that's another thing!

5. sunshinegirl620

sunshinegirl620 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Cherwill, that is an Awesome idea... A spiral herb garden! I'll have to do that one this year! [​IMG] We are making a quick trip to Salina tonight and tom., what are the best nurseries there?[​IMG] Maybe I could swing a little shopping in between business! [​IMG]

6. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    Thanks for the compliments on the herb spiral. It's my favorite thing. I read about one years ago and talked to DH about making one. We had a bunch of that rock sitting around so we used it. DH cemented the rocks together, but the cement doesn't hold anymore. It doesn't matter; the rocks stay in place as long as I don't get rambunctious when planting. The dirt in between is about 12". It took a bit to teach the dogs to stay out of my plants, but they mostly do now. Since they're mostly indoor dogs, it wasn't too hard to be out when they were out and yell at them when they got in the planters. They sometimes stick a foot or two in the raised beds when they're racing along the fence and they tend to get in the tree ring when chasing squirrels. We make sure not to plant anything right along the fence because we know that's where they run.

Sunshine, I got those herbs at Main Street Gardens in McPherson. I have also bought good plants at Lowe's and Waters True Value (460 S. Ohio) in Salina. Stutzman's always has good plants and they have lots of temporary seasonal spots now; I'm not sure if there's one in Salina or not. They have one in McPherson.

Tweety, my chicks were labeled Ameraucana but since I got them at Orscheln, they're probably really EEs. Congrats on your birds putting themselves to bed in the coop! I'm not sure if that's a good thing for mine, after what happened tonight. We got home after dark and DH went to put them in the crate since they roost on top of it instead of in it. He came in and told me Blanche was missing. I squatted down and didn't see her in the crate. We spent 40 minutes in the backyard and up and down the alley with a flashlight, even got Tai out to see if she could find her because Tai gets really birdy around the chicks. I heard some squawking in the crate and looked inside again. Three birds all near the door. Then I heard a noise from the light ... squatted down a little further and craned my neck and there was Blanche, sitting on the cord between the light and the edge of the crate. [​IMG] So Blanche apparently is ready to put herself away at night, but I'm not sure we can handle it!

7. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    HEChicken, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer you about the herb spiral. Since we already had the rock and the compost and dirt, it was very inexpensive (not counting the actual herbs), It took a weekend because we let the mortar and rocks set overnight before filling it. Every year I add a bit of compost on top before planting.

8. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    So... has anybody ever experienced a jewelry eating chicken? My BR just ate one of my earrings right out of my ear. It scared the crap out of me, I read up and it seems that it happens a lot more than I could have imagined, and that she should be fine...but seriously chickens have got to be some of the most ADD animals out there, all mine do is peck at the shiny stuff when I am around, rings, necklaces, fingernails, etc...

9. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
  10. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I haven't had one do this yet. I think from their point of view, you just never know what might be edible so its best to check it all out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by