Consolidated Kansas

I really have no preference cuz after looking at all the pictures on google, they looked all adorable!!

This was my feeling too - I just wanted silkies and didn't really care what color. I've come full circle from not wanting "froo-froo" chickens, to being absolutely besotted with my silkies (from Renee). It all started with my lack of broody hens, despite having some broody breeds. The only hen I've ever had go broody was a BSL - go figure. Anyway, I decided to get either Cochins or Silkies or both, so that I too could have some living incubators, and Renee very kindly helped me out with a black and a blue (or is it splash? I'm not that good on colors). Anyway, they are so adorable. They are very docile and friendly and don't mind being picked up at all. And they make the cutest little sounds! When I go to see them they actually run over to me and have got so used to being picked up to be carried in and out morning and night that they know the routine now. I pick up the black and tuck her under my right arm, and the blue comes over to stand by my left leg, knowing I'm going to pick her up next and tuck her under my left arm. Sometimes while I'm carrying them in, the blue one will tuck her head into my shirt and murmur quietly to me as we go. I call them both "her" because that is Renee's best guess. I'm keeping in mind how notoriously difficult silkies are to sex and one or both could wind up crowing instead of incubating.

Well, This morning I awoke to hearing the roosters crow quite loudly and I thought, Wow, I've never heard them that 'clear' in bed before, must be the way the wind is blowing!....
roll.png
I open the shades and WHOA, 3 of them were strutting around in the yard!! I had fed them some lettuce last evening, and forgot to latch the door! They have Never been out and about before! Yesterday when I was over by their pen, they were begging to come out the door
smile.png
And we have a 1 year old 110# Newfoundland that I have always 'wondered' if he'd do ok with them. He was woofin' at 'em but looked like he was scared of em
smile.png
So I am letting them enjoy their freedom here for a bit and keeping a VERY Watchful eye on the 'miniature livestock' newfie... And YES I watched them ALL crow! SO I guess I have 4 Roosters and NO HENS!
hit.gif
And my whole reason for getting chickens was to have the joy of 'fresh' eggs... So that's the reason, obviously, for the pecking.. TOO many HE"S!! Anyone care to swap me??
tongue.png

Well, This morning I awoke to hearing the roosters crow quite loudly and I thought, Wow, I've never heard them that 'clear' in bed before, must be the way the wind is blowing!....
roll.png
I open the shades and WHOA, 3 of them were strutting around in the yard!! I had fed them some lettuce last evening, and forgot to latch the door! They have Never been out and about before! Yesterday when I was over by their pen, they were begging to come out the door
smile.png
And we have a 1 year old 110# Newfoundland that I have always 'wondered' if he'd do ok with them. He was woofin' at 'em but looked like he was scared of em
smile.png
So I am letting them enjoy their freedom here for a bit and keeping a VERY Watchful eye on the 'miniature livestock' newfie... And YES I watched them ALL crow! SO I guess I have 4 Roosters and NO HENS!
hit.gif
And my whole reason for getting chickens was to have the joy of 'fresh' eggs... So that's the reason, obviously, for the pecking.. TOO many HE"S!! Anyone care to swap me??
tongue.png
Oh my, how disappointing for you. If you can post pictures of them on here, you might get some takers. Also, I would try putting them on the Facebook swap page (I think someone posted the link a few posts back) since there are people on there that don't always check in here.

Day 2 of my DH being home from the Spirit/Boeing tornado damage thing. We're going to take the Littles to preschool, show him where I grab my favorite coffee and run some errands and have lunch together. I'm so excited! I never get to spend a day with him with no kids!! We're going to get pavers to lay in a path up to my chicken coop. It's a mucky muddy mess walking up to it. This should solve my sinking into the ground issues.
wink.png

You sound like me! I never get tired of spending time with my DH either, and that sounds like a great way to do it. Funny, he wasn't much of a coffee drinker before he met me. Now we start every morning with a pot of coffee in bed together. Then its time to get up and get the kids ready for school and after that some days it feels like we never stop, so we both really value that time together in the mornings.

Enjoy your day - I just heard that part of Spirit/Boeing will be returning to work tomorrow so it might be his last day off.

The new arrivals. 13 bantam partridge wyandottes. The one yellow chick is a wheaten ameraucana that was hatched under the broody hens, but it wasn not doing well. It would have died if I left it outside. It seems to be doing okay now. I'm going to have to watch it for a day or so though. It looks like it wants to throw one leg out to the side like his foot is stiff. He may require spot bandaid treatment to his feet.

Sunshine girl-Where are you located? I will have some good layers to sell if you are interested. I am in the very northeast part of Kansas. I know someone in southeast Kansas, too, that will have some good layers to sell. They will be at point of lay soon. I could probably sell several others if you are interested in a variety.

To all of you with time off with your hubbies-Enjoy your time together. That is what life and love is all about.
love.gif

I'm over in the far corner of southwest... Garden City. But I have family that lives over by Salina that we will be going to soon. So I'd be happy to meet
smile.png
I REALLY want some hens and I'm pretty sure I could find a new home for some of these roos around here. We also make a trip to OKC quite frequently so if there's someone in that direction, altho my DH may not be quite as excited about hauling them that far... I can always 'beg'
big_smile.png

I am originally from Salina. I have family in Garden City. I don't get back that way very often, though. My sis from Garden City will be coming up here the first week of May. I'm not sure she would be too keen on hauling hens clear back across the state, but if "I" begged, maybe I could get her to consent.
big_smile.png

I'll PM you later. I have to get to an appointment right now.

I just got a message from Verna, ChickenDanz. She is still at the hospital. Her Mother is dying. Please pray for her and her family and for a peaceful. Passing. I pray they all find peace in their faith and love for each other.

She will probably not be on BYC for a while.

Back
Top Bottom