Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Hawkeye-I could be either one-genetic or from the injury. Either way, the use of any colored material to cover the color that is actually there is illegal in a show and that exhibitor should be disqualified.

Birds are shown not only on their genitic makeup, but on their physical condition which is influenced by the care of the bird. A bird in good condition will beat a much better bird in poor condition every time. That condition has to do with how they were railsed, housed, cared for etc. If a bird gets injured and has a defect it doesn't show well, the same as any other animal would not show well with an injury. It's part of the deal.

Any effort to cover the natural flaws a bird has is to be discouraged, whether genetic or injury.

So don't do the hair dye thing.

If you are serious about showing, go ahead and show these birds, flaws or not. They probably won't win best of show, but your son will get some good experience. In the meantime, you might keep your eyes peeled for some better genetics.

Danz has some seriously nice white crested blacks. I know she had extra roosters, but I don't know if she had other to sell or not,. Maybe she has some nice chicks.

Checoukan has some awesome rosecombs.

I've got some awesome little partridge wyandotte bantams. There are nice show birds out there. Go to a few shows and ask around. in the meantime there is nothing wrong with your son showing his rooster in a 4-H show.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! Hey, I figured it was probably illegal to do that, but at the last show we went to, I over heard them talking about using hair dye to cover something up! I asked the leader about that, and she said she had learned to use super glue to tack on feathers that had broke off and had used hair dye herself on some birds in the past! She didn't seem to act like it was any big deal. So I've been wondering about that for a while now. I really like the LF Polish-- which is what we have and what I grew up with. I've seen pics of Danz's Polish and I agree, she has super nice ones! I like the way you explained it-- that injuries and anything that shows up on the bird is part of the deal. That really helps. So it looks like none of these birds really may be nice enough in their current condition to do anything with them. I know that the white spots are a DQ. I have non-bearded LF WCB Poish and they have nice small wattles which was something that was going for them. Most of them have loose crests which is bad, but I do have a couple that are tighter and just look a bit nicer. I'll give them some time and see how their tails grow in. And you're right, worst case, we bring them and learn a little more about them in the process. I'll be sure to stay away from the hair dye. It's unfortunate that they were doing that at the last show-- I thought it was common practice!

3. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Good Morning all. Just wanted to check in and say thanks for your sentiments and a special thank you to Hawkeye and Ivy for their help.
    The viewing is this evening and the funeral is tomorrow. Those are going to be some extra tough times.
    I miss the chicken talk and all of you. I'll be back in a couple days.

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to see you, and please take care of yourself! You won't be very far from my thoughts tonight and tomorrow. [​IMG]

5. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Danz, you are in all of our thoughts & prayers, we miss you.

6. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Hawkeye-Anything done to cover up a DQ is wrong, and I am surprised to hear that one of the leaders would be encouraging something like this! I don't have rules and regs handy, but maybe Checoukan could find something and post it. Granted, the 4-H shows are much more lenient than a sanctioned show, but it is my opinion that you should teach the kids to strive for the optimum, and showing and breeding birds with DQ's is just not right. It's one thing if you are breeding these for your own purposes or simply backyard chickens, but to show them with DQ's concealed is not right. APA judges compare each bird to the standard based on it's own merits, and how close that bird comes to the standard or ideal is part of what makes it a good show bird or breeder.

I just think it teaches the kids the wrong ethics to try to conceal flaws. What's more important? Winning a show or learning good animal husbandry? When you get above the 4-H level it actually makes no sense to conceal flaws, either. The idea is to breed and work toward the "Standard of Perfection" and you sure aren't doing that if you are concealing and perpetuating flaws.

Danz-Thanks for checking in. We've been thinking of you. Everything is worked out for picking up the birds for you tomorrow, and I may even have some extras if you are interested.[​IMG]

7. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Danz, we miss you too. We look forward to having you back as soon as you're ready. Especially praying for you today and tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Well I just almost filled up my hovabator incubator today with eggs. I figured I would go ahead & set them & when the other cabinet one gets here I can transfer them & add some more. I got my Welsummer eggs I won on eBay today & will let them rest today & put them in tomorrow. I left just enough room in there for those & then the whole thing will be full too. I put Ameraucana eggs in that have been waiting, some may have waited a bit long, we'll see, the Royal Palm turkey eggs I got yesterday, & some of the black sexlink eggs I got yesterday. The guy I got the turkey eggs from offered me the sexlink eggs for $3, so I figured what the heck I might as well see if I can hatch some. I've been wanting a couple of those, so if I get some I will be happy. I also have been wanting some Welsummers, so we'll see how those do for shipped eggs again. The guy I got the turkey eggs from said he started all of his from shipped eBay eggs & he was rather happy about it. Mine I got off eBay seem to be developing for the most part, there might be a couple that are questionable, but I expect that from shipped eggs.

rvroman, how are the chicks doing you got from me? The ones still in the brooder are growing like little weeds, some of them are starting to fly around in there. I'm waiting for Keena to come get her Ameraucanas either today or tomorrow, so a few more will go. I won't have too many from the first hatch left after that, then it's just the waiting for the next batch.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Are these eggs from his black sexlink hens (which do not breed true), or does he have the correct combo of rooster over hen that will produce BSL chicks?

10. BamaProud

BamaProud Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Danz,sorry to hear about your mother.Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family . I know how it feels when you lose your mother.Going to be tough times ahead but if you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

Ivy,nice looking cages! If you need any help getting them unloaded or set up just let me know.Mike doesn't need to be pulling on those heavy racks.

Anyone know of any layers close to my area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by