Consolidated Kansas

I really doubt that coyote could be as big as a 100lb lab. From Wikipedia:
Quote: We've flushed some pretty healthy looking coyotes when out riding at our barn, but at best they were about the size of my 40lb lab/border collie mix (who took chase so I've seen the comparison with them really close together).

Also, attacks on people are extremely rare, and the only documented cases (again per Wiki) are when they were being fed and therefore lost their fear of humans. I would be more concerned about Ethan's hearing, if you were to fire a gun whilst wearing him, than I would be about a coyote attacking an adult.

Well not to disagree with HEChicken but around here the coyotes have inbred with wild dogs and they have developed some larger size. They aren't pure coyotes but still they act like one but can achieve larger size ranges. There are also wild dogs around which seem to be worse. They have been known to take down young cattle around here. They work in a group normally rather than alone like a coyote.
I doubt still that the coyotes would ever attack a human under normal cicumstances. Wild dogs might however if they felt threatened.
I've been washing eggs and stuff. I need to deliver some while I drive through town. I had penned up the birds to be delivered and one young cockerel decided to go postal on every one. I had a bunch of bloody chickens. He was bleeding a lot so I brought him in to try to stop it and he bit me several times. I finally just replaced him in the cage and threw him in with a bunch of other roosters. Maybe they'll pick on him because he is bleeding. If he had been just a bit bigger he would already be in the cook pot. I can't handle birds with an attitude.
Speaking of that my Lavender orpington rooster whom I've had for nearly 2 years has decided to be a butt head. He has never acted aggressive at all, but twice within the last week he tried to jump me. He for some reason hates my black fishermans gloves. Little does he know I have a nice young boy that can replace him at any time. About one more attempt at being a jerk and his breeding days are over. He'll go in the back up pen and live a batchelors life being used only if I need a back up. And then be soup once I get another young male old enough.
I've only had one aggressive rooster in the past and he tasted really good. These two are treading on thin ice!!!

Well not to disagree about the coyotes but I have seen documentaries about coyotes in urban settings that have attacked children in broad daylight & dragged them off from parks & playgrounds, it was really disturbing to see. So I guess if they get bold enough & hungry enough they will attack humans. That one you've been seeing lizzy looks really hungry & may be pretty desperate, I would keep a watch & try to get rid of him if you can.

I saw something I have never seen before when I went out by my pens last evening to find my little pullet that is being stubborn about going in at night. I saw this bird on top of my pen attached to my breeder coop on the side. I knew by looking at it that it was some type of quail & by the way it was acting I knew the GPs had chased it up there. They were both sitting on opposite sides of the pen watching it, waiting for it to come down. I wish I had been able to get a pic of it, but it kept moving to the opposite end of the pen when I got closer. I looked it up later & it was a California quail, so I don't know if someone is raising them & one got loose or what. It was by itself. It was a very pretty bird though.

I really doubt that coyote could be as big as a 100lb lab. From Wikipedia:
We've flushed some pretty healthy looking coyotes when out riding at our barn, but at best they were about the size of my 40lb lab/border collie mix (who took chase so I've seen the comparison with them really close together).

Also, attacks on people are extremely rare, and the only documented cases (again per Wiki) are when they were being fed and therefore lost their fear of humans. I would be more concerned about Ethan's hearing, if you were to fire a gun whilst wearing him, than I would be about a coyote attacking an adult.
I am planning on getting hearing protection for Ethan. They make some specifically for babies that parents use when target practicing, going to concerts, etc. I am more worried about this coyote's mental state. It is obvious that he is sick and VERY skinny/hungry. I worry about what he'll do out of sheer desperation.

Also, on the size, I should specify that our lab is short and stocky. The coyote is likely a LONG way from weighing anywhere close to what our dog weighs, but he is probably close to being the same height, thanks to our dog being short and the coyote having long legs.

Well not to disagree with HEChicken but around here the coyotes have inbred with wild dogs and they have developed some larger size. They aren't pure coyotes but still they act like one but can achieve larger size ranges. There are also wild dogs around which seem to be worse. They have been known to take down young cattle around here. They work in a group normally rather than alone like a coyote.
I doubt still that the coyotes would ever attack a human under normal cicumstances. Wild dogs might however if they felt threatened.
I wouldn't expect a healthy coyote in his right mind to attack a human, but this coyote has been in our yard in broad daylight. It is obvious that he is sick, and I worry about what he'll do out of sheer desperation and/or because he is sick and not thinking straight.

Well not to disagree about the coyotes but I have seen documentaries about coyotes in urban settings that have attacked children in broad daylight & dragged them off from parks & playgrounds, it was really disturbing to see. So I guess if they get bold enough & hungry enough they will attack humans. That one you've been seeing lizzy looks really hungry & may be pretty desperate, I would keep a watch & try to get rid of him if you can.
That is one of the reasons I'd like to keep a gun close by... to get rid of him when I get the chance. You guys don't need to worry about me shooting with Ethan close by and him not having hearing protection. I won't shoot with him unprotected unless I am absolutely forced to (like coyote attacking). I typically keep a gun or some other weapon (i.e. a hoe or shovel) handy in the summertime because of the risk of rattlesnakes, so I've been wanting to get hearing protection for Ethan anyway. With this coyote lurking around, I've got an excuse to get the hearing protection for him a little earlier than I had originally expected.

It is interesting that you mention that... I mixed 3-4 drops of lavender oil in with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and then rubbed the mixture on the bottoms of his feet. It didn't really seem to help (noticeably) though. I might try it again tonight and make sure that he naps well today. My lavender oil isn't aura cacia brand. It is the NOW brand, but I am looking into getting a better quality brand as soon as I decide what all EOs I want to order.
Try Ylang Ylang if the lavender doesn't seem to be working for you (i agree for baby only 1 drop mixed with your carrier oil) your brain stimulus is going to be about 1/4 way down from tip of big toe on the bottom side of your foot then along the bottom inside edge of your foot will hit most of your main body functions for the best chance at good outcome. Myself personally find i seem to get a better effect when diffusing the oils.

Well not to disagree about the coyotes but I have seen documentaries about coyotes in urban settings that have attacked children in broad daylight & dragged them off from parks & playgrounds, it was really disturbing to see. So I guess if they get bold enough & hungry enough they will attack humans.

Agree, we have some here in the edge of the burbs and have lots of small animals (not mine but lots of postings)that have gone missing lately. Then we always have the people who say poor thing and leave food on their back decks urg!

KSKingBee that is one of two things. Poop or poop. Seriously I recognize that as a bird that isn't getting food. Sometimes if they have a packed crop their poop will look like that. Or if they have quit eating all together. If it is in a pen I would add some veggie oil to the water or squirt some down that particular bird's throat if you know which it is.
Another thing it can be is a result of feeding fermented feed. Sometimes for unknown reasons the poop will turn green But since that is so runny I tend to think you have some one who needs nutrition badly. If you have no idea what bird left it look for a really full crop and signs of thinning breasts. If you don't find a full crop look for a bird that is loosing weight. Also might be a good time to worm if you haven't done so recently. Cecal or capillary worms can cause a loss of being able to digest food. Also keep a look out for one with a cold or one that appears to not be feeling well. Sometimes congestion will cause them to go off food.
Lizzy have you considered buying a sacrificial chicken and setting a trap for the coyote? Or even some cheap pieces of raw chicken if you don't have any one to buy a mutt bird from.
Just an idea. Even if you don't have a trap, if you or your DH had the time you could set up a chicken in a cage even where you could keep watch under cover, then shoot it when it shows up to have dinner.

Will a chicken who is egg-bound stay sitting in her nest area? She was there at 3:30 when I got home from work, and now at 7:30 was still there when I got home from class. She is now sleeping.

She allowed me to pet her and lifted up her tail like they do when they squat down...if she is still there and OK in the morning, what should I do for her to maybe figure out what the problem is......

Will a chicken who is egg-bound stay sitting in her nest area? She was there at 3:30 when I got home from work, and now at 7:30 was still there when I got home from class. She is now sleeping.

She allowed me to pet her and lifted up her tail like they do when they squat down...if she is still there and OK in the morning, what should I do for her to maybe figure out what the problem is......
It sounds like she is broody. If she stays there a couple of days and sleeps there at night, it is time to give her some eggs and let her hatch them out for you.

Back
Top Bottom