Consolidated Kansas

$2,000 to import!!!!! That's a bit higher than I thought, I was thinking maying 1 grand! It is way out of my budget too, but I'd like to learn as much as I can about the process.

I would like to eventually acquire some other colors of Dumpys, but that will be down the road several years. I am just so in love with the breed!!!
love.gif

I got 9 eggs today!!!!! I only have one more left to start laying!! I bet those of you who have been doing this for a long time just had a reminiscent moment.

I just started the incubation process last night, 20 in. we'll see what happens... My DH wouldn't leave me alone to start a batch, so I gave in. Hold on ladies!!!! I didn't let him win. Let me explain. I told him I committed to doing the Easter HAL with BYC for my first hatch ever so I am not starting a batch until the 14th period! Unless..we buy a second incubator so I can still participate. We went shopping for one as soon as I got home from work!!!

Kskingbee, your interested in spauldings? The vet that also bathed my dog in concordia had some high percentage ones that she said she needed to sell but just hadn't got around to it, it was a young male. She said she has problems with TT in the babies as she puts them in an aviary over the winter. I am betting too high perches with not enough landing room is the problem. I don't know if she still has them as its been pretty rough winter and her adults only had open on one side shelter but she had a very nice pen. If they were ib's no prob but I thought greens needed more heat? Her husband who was the vet died a couple of months ago so she might have sold them all. If you want I could give her a call and check on what she has, if they lived, if she wants to sell some etc? They were huge honkin birds for sure! So much larger than ib's. I didn't tell her I wanted any as I was afraid they would beat mine up! :lol:
I guess I should buy all her babies up, hmmm? Lol.

Oh and danz, anytime you have an overflow later on let me know. Looks like part of April I may be gone though .

I went ahead and planted just a few onions just to see how they do, it was a real sunny patch that's sheltered. I am ready for fresh plants, etc.

Kskingbee, your interested in spauldings? The vet that also bathed my dog in concordia had some high percentage ones that she said she needed to sell but just hadn't got around to it, it was a young male. She said she has problems with TT in the babies as she puts them in an aviary over the winter. I am betting too high perches with not enough landing room is the problem. I don't know if she still has them as its been pretty rough winter and her adults only had open on one side shelter but she had a very nice pen. If they were ib's no prob but I thought greens needed more heat? Her husband who was the vet died a couple of months ago so she might have sold them all. If you want I could give her a call and check on what she has, if they lived, if she wants to sell some etc? They were huge honkin birds for sure! So much larger than ib's. I didn't tell her I wanted any as I was afraid they would beat mine up!
lol.png

I guess I should buy all her babies up, hmmm? Lol.

Oh and danz, anytime you have an overflow later on let me know. Looks like part of April I may be gone though .

I went ahead and planted just a few onions just to see how they do, it was a real sunny patch that's sheltered. I am ready for fresh plants, etc.

There is probably something to your theory about hard landings being hard on their legs and causing twisted tibia. Some will say too high of protein in the diet but I have been feeding higher protein than most people that have problems, so I don't really prescribe to that causing it. I keep a lot of wood shavings in the indoor coop just because I am concerned about the hard floor and I set my perches at about 40 inches. So far so good on that. My outside birds only have an open side coop and as peas are, they still roost outside at night and come under the roof during the day when I don't let them out to roam. It is a covered roost outside, mostly I am trying to keep the guineas from crapping on the peas, but they also don't have to suffer with ice buildup on them when the weather is nasty.

I bought a pair of Spaulding Purple Black Shoulder and a pair of Spaulding Black Shoulder, we will pick them up in two weeks. They are supposed to be 5/8ths to 3/4 Spaulding, I really like the Purple BSs. Also getting a trio of Peach Silver Pied yearlings.
cool.png

The Turkey Creek Swap meet keeps getting bigger. It is located 3 1/2 Miles east of 20th and Rangeline Road in Joplin. I have other commitments, or I would be going. This swap is the first Saturday of every month 7AM to Noon. No charge for set-up. Located on a large lot south of the Turkey Creek Feed Store.

Last edited:
Lost my alpaca this evening. Sigh. I worked so hard to save her and I just don't know what the problem was. :hit half of my peas and half of my alpacas in about a week.

I've gone the fermented feed route - but I love buying my feed from a feed mill. My favorite place sources all their grains within a 100 mile radius. They are hoping to get a GMO free product sometime in the next few years. Coops are fair pricing as compared with TSC/Feldmans (haven't priced Orschelns). But at least in this area, the feed mills beat them by $3-5 a bag. My group of girls is so small it's not a huge deal, but last time I bought 6 bags and that savings did add up. 
[/quote]

Zig, where are buying your feed from?

Back
Top Bottom