Consolidated Kansas

Ugh it's nasty out there! We haven't gotten the ice yet but it was starting to get slick just from all of the rain we had yesterday when I went out to feed. I'm glad I got all of the animals & birds cared for before it got any worse. That wind is a killer though, brrrr!

Where in KS are you? I'm stuck in Wichita.

Welcome to the C Kansas forum. We have several people down in the Wichita area. It's kind of slow right now but it's a busy time of year. I live up to the NE a couple hours. Join in and feel free to talk about anything. We are pretty informal on this forum. We love pictures of coops and birds and anything else you want to add.
Well we got a between 2-3 inches of rain. I thought it was a lot more than that. But then last night it all turned to ice. From freezing rain to sleet, and now there is snow. Not much accumulation, just enough to whiten the ground.
My Dh's dad passed away last night. They've been expecting it. I was very happy it waited until after Christmas. Unfortunately he lived in Florida. I imagine DH will be flying down soon and will be gone a couple weeks while they get things in order. They have a lot of personal property to go through. He had done a reverse mortgage on the house so I have no idea how long it will be before they have to have every thing out. I hate him being gone especially this time of year.
I'm a little apprehensive because I'm still not able to do the heavy work around here by myself. I do go back to the doctor next week though so maybe I'll be released to lift more.

You be careful out there Danz & don't fall & hurt yourself. I had to ask for help yesterday so I wouldn't fall coming back up the hill with my wagon because it was getting slick out. I'm apprehensive about going out there today.

Well the power went out and was out for several hours. Just got it back on. We had the generator going to the house but had to shut down a lot of breakers so we didn't over load it. We don't have the wiring yet to hook up my new generator to the building so it and everything outside that is run from the pole was not on. Now it's snowing and icing even more.
I did the very minimum out there today. I had to get the ice off my car so I could move it. The doors were frozen shut and they were the last thing to get cleared enough to open. At least it isn't facing north now.
It looks like a blizzard out there now.

We seem to be missing the snow part. We have maybe 1/4 inch of ice on the exposed fence wires and the north side of everything is iced over. The driveway is a sheet of ice as is the yard, but we haven't gotten any snow to speak of. I suspect we are just in a spot that got missed.

The chickens are hanging out in the coops today. I took them scratch about 1 and they seemed grateful for something to do. I actually had 6 eggs (4 pullet eggs and 2 hen eggs). Amazing.

Everyone be careful out there. I have graphite cleats in some straps that I wear over my boots, so I didn't feel it much, but the hens that came out were sliding all over. I put a little piece of carpet over the top couple of feet of the ramp into the new coop. It is a little steep, and they were afraid of it.

I HATE ICE.

We missed out on the rain up my way thankfully. But we got a bit of snow 1/4 inch maybe. I didn't get the official total. It was windy enough they closed the post and cancelled appts at the clinic which to my disliking I discovered upon arrival to the clinic. I thought the weather was fine. Dry but windy and not enough snow to matter but down here in the almost south people take it differently I guess. My birds are all natives so they seems to hate it too and take it equally seriously staying inside their coops. I still have zip for eggs. I started lighting my Delaware coop on a timer the day after Christmas so hopefully they will get going soon. They are just pullets so they have little excuse for not laying besides the light. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

We got ice here, it's still slick here because it hasn't gotten warm enough yet to melt anything & there's no sun. I'm hoping it will melt off before we have to go to Wichita again. We can't get up this steep driveway with our cars when there is ice so we have to drive the old farm truck & it's a gas hog. We just have it here to haul feed & other things we need. I hate this time of year, it just makes me want to go south for the winter & the older I get the more I feel that way.

My chickens have stayed in the last several days & don't seem to mind that. They don't like coming out when it's wet & cold anyway. My geese on the other hand have been pecking at their door on the hoop coop wanting out. I just couldn't let them out & have to go back out & put them in with as slick as it's been.

Back
Top Bottom