Consolidated Kansas

wee.gif
Oh, yes.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
wee.gif

ya.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Okay, I've given them the Doxycycline in their water. Supposedly, this is strong stuff and should work/help. I'm still going to hunt down the VetRX, too. But so far, shipping is like $8 for a $7 bottle. Geez! I'm wondering if my Tractor Supply may have it too.

For future reference, does the Oxytet come in a liquid or powder? When I asked my farm store, I told them it was a powder-- they asked me what they were looking for. I suppose if it comes in a liquid, they could have it and overlooked it because I didn't tell them to look for a liquid.

Oxytet, oxytetracycline, LA200... all the same thing. Dose for a chicken is 1/4cc (0.25cc) into the breast, near the breastbone. Make sure you don't hit the croup.

Tractor supply may have the VetRx, but I doubt it. It's a good thing to have on hand, and you will want some when you start showing.
wink.png
Maybe you could order some other supplies with it so that the shipping wouldn't be so much for one thing.

Quote:
Where the heck are you all buying this stuff? I can't find it!
sad.png
ARGH! On the up side... Zorro isn't stretching out his neck anymore. But the little one still has a sneeze every now and then and Zorro is definitely still opening his mouth. Sigh.

I think they are getting worse.
sad.png
They are both stretching their necks and yawning. I hope my vet is open tomorrow- these birds better be alive in the morning, they are soooo going. I'm just sick about this. Do you suppose the oxy will have time to work overnight? They did a lot of drinking when I put the fresh Doxycycline in it. I wish I had the injectible stuff you all are talking about. Double Sigh.

I need advice! I am hatching babies and have all but 5 that left to go. I hatched some on day 22 and some on day 23. Today is day 24. They were moving and tapping yesterday and now they stopped. They probably died didn't they? I hate that.

Well, they all seem okay this morning. The little one did sneeze this morning, but that was only once while I was out there. He also did a yawn- but I haven't seen Zorro do one this morning. They do seem more perky, preening feathers-- Zorro is crowing. They are eating and drinking. Sooo... thinking they don't need to see the vet. I'm just going to continue on with the antibiotics (Doxy) and hope they continue to do better. They are still shaking their heads a lot--- is that still a sign of sickness? My 7 wk old birds don't shake their heads that much. Sigh. Anyway, I'm no longer feeling panicked. I just hope they don't start into doing something that makes my stress level go thru the roof! LOL

hawkeye- relax,
smile.png
everything is going to be ok. Just keep a watchful eye like you are doing. Stay with the meds you are using, if at anytime you do not feel they are improving, then you may have to switch meds. If you look at posts in other areas, you will see that many people are fighting illness with their birds! Most of them are in real trouble. They have bought birds from swaps, traders, and neighbors and just mixed the birds right in. You did not do that, and your birds are from the same farm. Do you have a pet taxi that you can put the birds in while you clean the cages they are in now? I would clean their pens, and then spray the cages down with disenfectant. Let it dry and put the birds back in. A lot of respriatory problems are bacteria, and are easily killed by lysol. I use Tec-Trol, but you have to order that in.
frow.gif

I always used a weaker clorox/water soulution (1/3-2/3) in a spray bottle to disinfect but you have to be careful using that, it creates ammoniachloride which can be very deadly. You just have to make sure you do it outside or in a well ventalated area and let it air dry before using it again. Honestly I've only ever disinfected my incubator.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom