Constant illness and bugs

Try not to give too many scraps and treats, especially if they are free ranging as well. Do they live in the barn? Is your coop near the barn? The mice might be stressing them out.

Some people use waterers that have a nipple attachment so the chicken can drink directly and the water does not get gunked up. I’m not sure about the water freezing though, you’d need to heat it or have it somewhere warmer. It doesn’t get that cold where I live so it’s not an issue I’m familiar with.
I will ease up with the scraps and treats. I know too many mealworms cause liver disease that’s more of a “guests are here and want to feed chickens” thing

It’s not too close to it. Most of my chickens eat the mice if they see them. They live in the coop and hangout/lay eggs in the barn (cause never mind with good nesting boxes 😂)
I’m trying to find a barncat to clear them out, it’s been here since we moved in 12 years ago so it’s gotten realllyyy bad

I’ll see if I can find them. We don’t have a TSC so I might have to order them
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/fortiflex-low-pan-3-gallon-black/SLT901472/
1695167275668.png

I have one hen with crop stasis but she has a bra other than that I haven’t noticed any other health issues other then lethargy with one of my chicks. Sneezing only happens with my silkie when she drinks water and that’s just been her thing since she hatched, she sneezes when she drinks water.

I wouldn’t worry about the hen who sneezes when she drinks. She is probably just clearing the water from her nose/face. And for the one with crop stasis, if the bra works that’s good :)

Honestly it sounds like you’re doing a good job… The lice thing is difficult, you have to be really thorough and clean the environment as well as treat the birds. You could try dusting them with a powder instead of the spray. Is the Elector PSP a powder?

I wouldn’t worry about the hen who sneezes when she drinks. She is probably just clearing the water from her nose/face. And for the one with crop stasis, if the bra works that’s good :)

Honestly it sounds like you’re doing a good job… The lice thing is difficult, you have to be really thorough and clean the environment as well as treat the birds. You could try dusting them with a powder instead of the spray. Is the Elector PSP a powder?
I think it’s a liquid. It’s been highly recommended supposed to treat all life stages without withdrawal… I’ve tried the permethrin powder and spray. The powder worked perfectly but it’s too much work for 32 birds and the powder floating around hurts my eyes and nose and probably my chickens too so I didn’t want to risk them hurting.

I’m just trying to figure out why my flock has so much trouble I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong or what I’m not doing at all

You mentioned wild birds like magpies and robins hanging around the area, that could be a source of lice.

Coccidiosis can flare up in a damp environment, so it's probably best to always have Corid on hand just in case. If you start seeing lethargic birds without any known cause, especially after a wet spell, treat immediately, as it will not harm them to do so.

You mentioned wild birds like magpies and robins hanging around the area, that could be a source of lice.

Coccidiosis can flare up in a damp environment, so it's probably best to always have Corid on hand just in case. If you start seeing lethargic birds without any known cause, especially after a wet spell, treat immediately, as it will not harm them to do so.
I found out the lice is coming from the straw in my barn. I didn’t burn it last time and ends up they can live in it :(

I have a half bottle of corid left. I did not know that before but I will keep that in mind, is it like a really really bad cold?

To keep them safe from predators, maybe get a dog / chicken kennel to keep them safe while also giving them plenty room (depending on your flock. Larger one for a larger flock!) For the sickness, are you cleaning out the water daily? It might be a cause of the sicknesses.
Yes the water gets dumped and refilled daily but the bowl I think is bad so we’re getting a new one.

I have a flock of 32- they usually get away fine but Melvin was suffering from bumblefoot and was a polish so she couldn’t see… my three roos got to her too late so her body was left but not alive. She couldn’t keep up with the flock due to her foot everyone else is safe from birds thankfully… lots of hiding spaces. I’ll just have to take extra caution with my crested birds

Yes the water gets dumped and refilled daily but the bowl I think is bad so we’re getting a new one.

I have a flock of 32- they usually get away fine but Melvin was suffering from bumblefoot and was a polish so she couldn’t see… my three roos got to her too late so her body was left but not alive. She couldn’t keep up with the flock due to her foot everyone else is safe from birds thankfully… lots of hiding spaces. I’ll just have to take extra caution with my crested birds
Yeah. If you are really worried about safety, clean the coop out really well, clean the water every day or two, and get them in a run. The first two are mandatory when caring for chickens, but the last one is just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom