Construction of "The Pantry". Another Wacky Coop. (Pic Heavy)

Redangler

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2012
Bradenton, FL
I have been on this site for several months researching the best way to construct our coop. I have taken many of your ideas and turned them into our coop "The Pantry". With the purchase of our 10 girls last week it was time to start construction. I have had the plans designed for about three months but have not had time to start until now.

I will post pics along the way. This afternoon I was able to get the posts and base installed. The coop when finished will be kind of a whimsical crazy feel. The coop and run will be surrounding my garden.

This pic shows the base completed and the post holes being dug

Here is a close up of the floor construction.

No Construction project would be complete without supervisors! Our dog has been very good with her new flock.

Here are the posts and base installed. As you can see the inspector is completing final flooring inspections. I know the posts are a little large but they were free so I won't complain. Concrete should be dry in the am and I can get the dirt raked out.

If all goes well tomorrow afternoon I will have the floor and walls installed.

Last edited:
The concrete around the post set up well last night so I had a chance, after the rain stopped today, to work on the coop a bit. I was able to get the floor and walls installed. Next up is the roof. Here is the floor installed and the front and back walls up.

A shot of the back wall. The lower middle section will be the girls automatic door into the run.

South wall. Also where the nesting boxes will be installed.

North wall. Also top framework for the roof.

There will be steps leading into the entry of coop.

Of course the inspector showed up to make sure the girls will be safe.

Tomorrow I hope to work on the roof and get a couple of coats of waterproofing installed on the floor. When thats finished it will be painted before the outside sheathing goes on. More pics and updates to follow soon!

Man oh man, you're "flyin'" getting that coop together, can't wait to see the finished product.

There's a home in San Bernardino,Ca. built along the Hansel & Gretal theme. Whoever built it went to great pains to make it look right/wrong. I have a picture of it but can't figure out how to post it to the forum.

You definitely have some skills. Working with all those weird angles has to be challenging, much harder than 90* and plumb, kudos. .
bow.gif

Man oh man, you're "flyin'" getting that coop together, can't wait to see the finished product.

There's a home in San Bernardino,Ca. built along the Hansel & Gretal theme. Whoever built it went to great pains to make it look right/wrong. I have a picture of it but can't figure out how to post it to the forum.

You definitely have some skills. Working with all those weird angles has to be challenging, much harder than 90* and plumb, kudos. .
bow.gif
It's not even my coop and I'm frustrated just thinking about how many times you've had to change the angle on your saw! Looks great!

Looking at the roof tonight I can see that is going to be a challenge. But I'm up for the task. I just hope I don't have any type A personality Chooks because they will probably drive themselves insane inside the coop!

Back
Top Bottom