Cooking sparrows

Quote:
Please don't mis-undertake me on this. I am not against killing sparrows or eating them or feeding them to your chickens. It just seems to me that it would be easier (and cheaper) to hide the food from them than to continue feeding them.
wink.png

I know i have to build a proper coop with bricks, but i also work too much and i dont have time for this right now, i hope i will build one before the winter comes, then i will be able to feed the chickens in the coop. Until then i have a wooden homemade dog-style house that they sleep in the night and make eggs in the day. I also have their corner fenced but without a top yet but i never close the door anyway because i want them to be free. As i already said i feed them in a homemade cage with bird wire all around it, but i cannot keep that door closed either, because i want the chickens to get in and out of the cage. I am not the best chicken keeper and i feel bad for not having a proper brick house constructed yet that the chickens can spend all winter inside it. I plan to build one.

That changes nothing tho, because the sparrows invade my vegetable garden too, and a sparrow trap would take me a couple of hours to build and set up.

Also, native sparrows does not mean that they are not pests and they dont come in thousands. Killing native grey rabbits is legal here too, and there is only few of them left. The hunters actually trap and release wild rabbits to build their population again but kill them and eat them the same time.

Pigeons are also native to Spain for another example, but recently the mayor of Barcelona ordered to capture them and kill them with gas because they destroy everything.
Related video, how they capture the pigeons

@tom e:Even if i was eating 100 sparrows everyday, i would not hurt the population.

Quote:
soooooooooo (like you said), talking about my energy, my energy is spent at working from 21:00 untill 7:00 in the morning and helping my wife to raise our baby in the day, i eat vitamins and still look like a zombie, i finish this job in 1 and 1/2 month and then i will build a chicken coop with bricks and cement. If you did not read just the top of this thread you would already know i plan to build one.

Are you patronizing me? Or am i just too tired and see things?

Last edited:
Sorry if someone else mentioned this. I did not read every entry in the thread but maybe they could be snake food. Do you know someone with a critter that eats other critters? Just a thought. As for eating them it would be like eating crawfish. Unless you absolutely love them its probably more work that it's worth.

One thing I don't understand is - Why are you picking this short term solution when you can fix up a coop that costs little, but works. OR you can build a pest proof feeder, and get rid of the entire problem all together. Kill the birds all you want, and like others said you can even eat them. But you said there was thousands, it won't make a dent in the population. If there's 1,000 visiting your yard, then there's another 1,000 feeding not too far from you in their territory. And another thousand breeding. Just trapping and killing won't matter, more will simply come to replace the ones killed if there's that many in your area. Once that flock is destroyed, another one will take it's place, and the cycle repeats. Is this about saving feed, or just killing for revenge alone?

But I do think giving the chickens some is a great idea, extra protein.

FoodKillah, I love your enthusiam for your chickens and vegetable garden:thumbsup I have laughed until I cried reading the posts about the EVIL SPARROWS! I have read them outloud to my husband so he could laugh too. I fully sympathize with you. Those sparrows are bad and they are THIEVES. They are MURDERERS:rant of your hard labor. They deserve to be trapped and eaten either by yourself or by your chickens. We have a garden too and we have to pick the tomatoes before they are ripe or the mocking birds peck them. They really made my husband ANGRY and he wanted to wring their scrawny necks, but they are the state bird of Texas, so they are protected. If the squirrels ever catch on that there are goodies in the garden I will get a repeater trap and we will have squirrel and dumplings for supper. Chickens love to eat insects and if I had to choose between eating bugs EEWWWW or sparrows, I would definately eat the sparrows.
wee.gif
So I don't think cooked sparrows would hurt your chickens one bit. Don't feel bad about being a bad Chicken Daddy, all you have to do is a search for ugly coops here on BYC and you will think your chickens doghouse is a castle LOL. And you are going to build them a BRICK CHICKEN HOUSE???? WOW and WOW:bow Be sure and post pictures when you build it. How about posting pictures of your chickens? What kind of chickens do you have? Good luck with the sparrow war.

P.S. I have eaten armadillo that I shot, cleaned and bar-b-cued. It was good.

Quote:
I have 4 brown egg layers, 1 black-golden egg layer and 1 white cockerel. I dont believe they are pure breeds, i might post new pictures tonight and update my journal topic, i will let you know
smile.png

I want the brick house because the winds here are extremely strong in the winter.

Thanks for sharing my thoughts and i am glad you laughed, you sure know what it is like to have these kind of pests flying around

Back
Top Bottom