Cool facts about where you live

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley,_North_Dakota
Stanley is about 1.7 square miles
big_smile.png

technically, i don't live in Stanley, i live right outside city limits; 2 miles from the center of town

Last edited:
Not much about this town to write about. I've heard they used to grow a lot of the Cracker Jack popcorn around here. We have a big grain elevator but no gas station or other stores.

This county produces more corn and soybeans than any other county in the USA. So that's about biggest 'neato' fact I can come up with.

(which is why I kind of chuckle at the 'evil roundup' threads... it's almost all roundup ready corn and beans here and we're doing fine. twitch... twitch...)
big_smile.png

Hesperia's origins began as a Spanish land grant: Rancho San Felipe, Las Flores y el Paso del Cajon founded in 1781. The first inhabitants were Serrano Indians. They lived in the normally dormant Mojave River bed, but the land was sparsely inhabited desert during Spanish-Mexican rule in the 19th century. The U.S. annexed the region along with Southern California after the Mexican-American war in 1848.

The town site was originally laid out in 1891 by railroad company land developers of the US & Santa Fe Railroad completed that year. Hesperia was named for "Hesperus", the Greek god of the west. The railroad land developers published pamphlets distributed across the country with boosterism of Hesperia, California, as a potential metropolis: to become "the Omaha of the West" or projections to have over 100,000 people by the year 1900, but only 1,000 moved in.

Hesperia grew relatively slowly until the completion of U.S. Routes 66, 91 and 395 in the 1940s followed by Interstate 15 in the late 1960s. A total of 30 square miles (78 km2) of land was laid out for possible residential development: roads were set up, but hardly any houses were built, until the wave of newcomers arrived at Hesperia in the 1980s. Suburban growth transformed the small town of 5,000 people in 1970 to a moderate-sized community of over 60,000 by the year 2000.

Kinda boring.

I live in Opelousas, Louisiana and here are some cool facts about our city.

1. The third oldest city in Louisiana
2. Opelousas was part of the Louisiana Purchase acquired by the United states in 1803.
3. During the Civil War, Opelousas became the LOUISIANA state capital for nine months in 1862 after Baton Rouge fell under Union control. The former Lieutenant Governor at that time was Homere Mouton, whose home became the Governor's mansion, a title it still bears.
4. Attakapas Indians occupied Opelousas for their camping grounds. These Indians were a warlike tribe and preyed upon neighboring tribes. The three other tribes in the area, the Opelousas, the Choctaws, and the Alabamans, considered the Attakapas their enemy and together successfully drove them from their land, almost destroying the entire tribe. The three tribes then made a pact and gave the land of the Attakapas to the Opelousas Tribe, thus the territory was called "Opelousas." The name Opelousas means Blackleg.
5. The first passenger trains reach Opelousas on October 15, 1880.
6. In 1853 a terrible yellow fever epidemic strikes St. Landry Parish in August. The town of Washington was decimated. Twenty people died in Opelousas.
7. In 2009, a former Union Pacific Freight Depot was restored to become the Louisiana Orphan Train Museum. The museum features documents, artifacts and memorabilia dedicated to those who were part of the Orphan Train Riders who traveled from New York to Louisiana between the years of 1873 and 1929.
8. James "Jim Bowie" a 19th century American pioneer once lived in Opelousas.
9. Opelousas has lots of French/Creole/Cajun heritage.
10.Opelousas is known as "The Yam (yams) City".

Arizona...home of the London Bridge.

Copper, cattle, cotton, wheat, fruit, hay, and veggies are the top export crops.

Some desert areas get only 3 inches of rainfall per year.

Has the lowest cancer rate in the nation.

Has had the lowest low temp and the highest high temp in the nation on the same day.

It's illegal to ride your horse up the county courthouse steps, and donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom