Cool facts about where you live

The movie Escanaba in da Moonlight had some parts filmed in town. Many of the shops seen in the movie are still around. Love that movie and da buckless yooper!

Well~~ Bat Cave is only known for 1 thing---the Bat Cave...lol. The state just bought it so the trail leading to it should improve; and NO, the Batmobile isn't in there

The big town of Hendersonville (right next door) is the "Apple Capital" of the state of NC. Also, the angel in the book "Look Homeward Angel" is located in the cemetary in Hendersonville.

thumbsup.gif

Austin was originally named Waterloo

I live in Waynesboro, GA, we are known as the "Bird Dog Capital of the World" and every year we had weeks of Bird Dog Trials. Competitors come from from just about every state in the union as well as Canada and Europe.

I work in Augusta, GA which is the home of the Masters
00ae.png
golf tournament (which I have never been too).

edited because we do not have Bird Dog Trails - we have Bird Dog Trials.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I live in the independent state of dade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dade_County,_Georgia

"Dade
County, in the northwest corner, had no roads connecting it to the rest of Georgia until 1939; the only ways to access Dade County were through either Alabama or Tennessee. In the days leading to the Civil War a local politician seceded Dade from the state of Georgia, and thus the Union, rather than wait for Georgia to secede. This created the Independent State of Dade. In 1939, when the state of Georgia purchased land that would become Cloudland Canyon State Park, the State of Dade finally became connected to Georgia. In 1945 the State of Dade passed a resolution "officially" rejoining Georgia and the Union over 80 years after the end of the Civil War. The area is still known today as the State of Dade."

"Shortly after the Georgia State Quarter was released, Dade County gained attention over an apparent mistake in the quarter. The outline of the state of Georgia on the quarter appears to have accidentally left out Dade County, which is in the extreme northwestern part of the state.["

"Dade County lies just south of Nickajack Lake on the Tennessee River, which is created by the Nickajack Dam, part of the Tennessee Valley Authority. The water source has been desired by Atlanta, Georgia to supplement water drained from Lake Lanier and Lake Allatoona. Georgia lawmakers wished to change the Tennessee-Georgia state line because it is based upon a flawed 1818 survey that mistakenly placed Georgia's northern line just short of the Tennessee River."

I had grown up in a small anthracite coal mining town and do not live too far away from it now but apparently a hot coal from one of the many steam engines going through started an underground fire in a vein of coal. It had burned for over 20 years and I can still remember the entire town would smell of sulfer whenever it rained. The part of the mountain was appropriately nickenamed the burning banks became the "partying" spot for many kids at that time! They did finally put out the fire because it was coming close to the town. You can still find Ash larger than a truck up there.
There is another town north if us that they never did put the underground fire out and it is still burning!

Very interesting thread! I loved reading everyones post!!!
big_smile.png

I live next door to Apple Valley, CA, the home of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, they are buried here, raised their family here, lived here their whole lives. Apple Valley, CA used to be a hot spot for movie stars. All his movies were filmed here too.

Back
Top Bottom