cooling off your chickens

Pics
It's very hot in GA today, the only one that seems to mind it is my brown leghorn. They have a tarp cover pvc tractor wit the ends open in the direction of the wind. every hour i add ice to their water, I put a pan of shallow water with in it for her, I even made a berry smoothie. the leghorn just walked through the smoothie and no one is really taking advantage of anything but the water. I do not have shade and I think I need to get a fan. what fan setups do you all have? Is there a fan you really like and works well? I was maybe wanting one with a light too, and a clip for their coop. What set ups and what do you all do to get them to enjoy their treats> So far, I think my chickens are from another planet, they don't even like lettuce!
When it's hot, frozen watermelon is a good treat!

1594966379538.png

Attachments

• 20200717_162508.jpg
    20200717_162508.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200717_162540.jpg
    20200717_162540.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 4
I have placed a garden sprinkler near the coop/run.
I just put it on mist so the wind blows the cool air toward them. Not strong enough or close enough to soak them or the run.
Mine are terrified of the water and run for shelter but the mist setting seems to pique their curiosity.
Mine are like that too..they hate the sprinkler, but I run it so it catches the edge of the coop, so they get a cooling off from the mist. Seems to work. Tomorrow will be another hot day here. Heat index of 105. Makes me wanna bring my girls in the house..lol

Ok...so, are you saying that icing their water bowl and giving them watermelon icecubes is not a good thing every hour? They do have a fan and I spray the ground by the fan so it also mists them. Should i be doing something else?
No, it is not for a couple reasons. Their water should be cool but not cold as it can be too big a shock to the system. It's the same reason we don't a/c or heat coops. In addition, if you are providing frozen TREATS on a continual basis, they aren't eating their feed which leads to inadequate nutrition. Treats should only make up 10% of their total diet.

Back
Top Bottom