Coop Advice Wanted

Now may I say....

I don't have 1 square foot of vent for my birds,I really don't have a lot of vent(mistake there).Only two of my birds have ever had major frostbite in the four coops I have ever housed them in, and they all Didnt have that much vent.

Jus my 2'cents ;)

Now may I say....

I don't have 1 square foot of vent for my birds,I really don't have a lot of vent(mistake there).Only two of my birds have ever had major frostbite in the four coops I have ever housed them in, and they all Didnt have that much vent.

Jus my 2'cents ;)
I think the gable vents will look cute, and it is pretty hot in there. They are pricey, though. I'm going to ask my Dad about it later.

Now may I say....

Jus my 2'cents ;)

A lot of it depends on how packed in your birds are, the ability of the bedding to absorb and hold onto any moisture at given temps, whether the coops is heated and/or insulated (bad idea), and what the weather is like in general where you are.

This is what you really need to do, for the most effective ventilation, on your build.
Just remove the wood on soffit and replace with HC.
This is my shed/coop build. The front and back sofits are open with hardware cloth on them now. The windows on front and sides will have glass in them. If you replace the front sofit board with hardware cloth, you will be good and not much work. It won't look as pretty as the vents you posted but it will keep the chickens happy. So do you want to sell coops that look pretty or do the job they are ment to do?
20170411_132711.jpg

Of course I want it to do it's job, that's why I'm asking the chicken experts!

But it should look nice, too. I have three coops. I don't need another coop. I'm cooped out, and I need to pay for the lumber.

Your coop looks fabulous, blackdog. I bet some happy chickens live there!
It's just getting this one off my hands that is the problem. I don't sell chicken coops. I don't know how. I'm worried.

I made a few coops of my own, and a relative misunderstood that as building coops to sell. So they told someone about it and it just snowballed from there.

See, this is a custom coop. Someone ordered it and then backed out without so much as a look at it. That is why it is the way it is.

But I am going to do my best. I'm going to take these ideas and we are going to make this work.
Thank you guys so much for everything.
I will post photos of the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom