Coop Cam

If you have an old Android phone, you can use it as a webcam. Check out the IP Webcam app in the play store. For viewing video on Android, I recommend tinyCam. I have the paid pro versions of both.

If you want to use an old computer with a webcam, try YawCam. (Google it)

I liked the arlo but didn't like the price. I am obviously being real cheap about this. But if anyone get a one I will be completely jealous!!

I don't know how this will stand to the weather but time will tell. Thus morning I was watching one of the girls doing her egg song when my boss walked in. LOL oops. Sort of got caught

I have NEST outdoor cameras on the house, and since the coop is closely, I have one there too. Very easy setup and a good phone app and website. It just needs to connect to the Wifi. It also has night vision. Put a hidden link on my website. That way, I can monitor the temperature and humidity without disturbing them. Also, saw which hen layed our very first egg today!

https://www.greggster.com/chickens
Love the website I want to get one for my coop

I bought a camera, and thought that my router would be strong enough to be picked up where I placed it, but it does not pick it up, even with a repeater half way between the camera and the router. I am not very tech savvy but thought this would work. Now I am being told that I need to have a modem out by the coop where the camera is. Is there any other way to have a camera near/in the coop? It is about 250' away from the house.

@biophiliac, it sounds like you don't have electricity to your coop, so a wireless cam would be best. The Arlo cameras are pricey, but super easy to set up. They have a really wide field of vision at 130d, so even tho they are a 'fixed' camera (you can't move them around remotely), they take in a lot. There have been some issues with the night IR vision lens getting stuck with the Arlo cams, so that the picture is red. There has not been a good fix for this, but the Arlo Pro cams or Arlo Pro 2 cams don't have this issue. More $, of course. But for ease of set up, they are quite good. There are other wireless (no plug, wifi enabled) cameras like Blink, Reolink, and Ring, but I'm not as familiar with them.

I have 3 arlo cameras on my coop, under the coop and in the run. I have had them for 3 years now and just love them. Here are some photos.

Under the coop
48B45BS02C485_07_17_2017 8_14_39AM_1500293679712.jpg

The roost at night
Bob's Coop_12_26_2017 11_19_16PM_1514348356316.jpg

The run
48B4597ECDE25_04_17_2016 7_20_58AM_1460892058283.jpg

I travel for a living. I have checked in to see them from all over the country including airplanes. It enables me to clear my head and relax for a few minutes. I could not do without doses of my girls.

The Arlo are battery operated and wireless. I love them. I even have captured video of my Daisy laying her egg. Really cool.

As far as the night filter getting stuck, a quick smack into my hand has fixed that the two times it has happened. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom