Coop caught on FIRE!

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
Coop caught on fire from a heat lamp. I lost 3 chickens. Other 4 are singe and sooty looking. Feathers are kinda burned and singe. What should I do to help clean them up? Like around their faces, eyes, nose. One chicken is still in the process of molting and she got singe too. They have ashy/smokey feathers. What should I do to clean them up? Should I put vitamins in their water to give boosts of energy? Should I give them laying feed, or when should I?

Thanks so much!
smile.png

I'd give them baths and make SURE they are completely dry so they don't get chilled, get some Rescue Remedy or something to help them deal with the trauma and stress. Poor babies, poor you -- so sorry for your losses. I had a heat lamp fall and break one time although it was (IMO) securely fastened. I know others say chickens don't need heat, but because it makes ME feel better, when it gets into the low teens or single digits I turn on a portable heater with auto shut-off and overheat protection. I set it on top of the metal feed can and position it where it is out of the traffic flow. I make sure there's no combustible material with a couple of feet of it.

ETA: When I say give them baths, I do mean a regular bath with warm (NOT hot, NOT cold) water. You can use pet shampoo, and if you use the kind for fleas and ticks, it will also kill mites if the chickens happen to have them. Make sure to rinse the chickens well, and blot with a towel to remove as much water as possible. You can then blow dry them or leave them in a warm room (bathroom, utility room, etc.) with no cold drafts until they are COMPLETELY dry.

Last edited:
Quote:
You didn't say how old they are; if they're not laying yet, they don't need layer feed. Do you have a safe, secure place to put them while you repair the coop damage?

All of them are laying. Yeah they are in the back of my dads truck in the garage with hay scratch and water, with a little pen. Should I put vitamins in their water? I gave them scratch feed. One of them lost their toes. Will their feather grow back, and their toes? And should I wipe around their faces/beaks were it's got soot on there with a warm rag?

Thanks so much!

Wow! So sorry to hear this. What caught on fire from the lamp? How many watts was in the lamp? I would definitely get them cleaned up. It's very hard to get that smoky smell out of them. I would use some Dawn Dishwashing Detergent. It will take some time to get feathers back. Toes? I don't think they will grow back. So sorry!

Quote:
You didn't say how old they are; if they're not laying yet, they don't need layer feed. Do you have a safe, secure place to put them while you repair the coop damage?

All of them are laying. Yeah they are in the back of my dads truck in the garage with hay scratch and water, with a little pen. Should I put vitamins in their water? I gave them scratch feed. One of them lost their toes. Will their feather grow back, and their toes? And should I wipe around their faces/beaks were it's got soot on there with a warm rag?

Thanks so much!

ep.gif
Yikes! If the toes were burned off in the fire, no, they will not grow back. If some of the skin/tissue was burned off but not to the bone, that part may heal if the damage was not too severe and the nerves not damaged too much. That one has GOT to be in pain unless the toes were burned completely off and the nerves were killed. I would definitely put some vitamins (baby vitamins without iron) or Rescue Remedy (can probably get it at a health foods store) and maybe even some aspirin (check the dosage; I think it's one reg. aspirin per gal. of water? NOT SURE, the dosage you should check!)

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Wow! So sorry to hear this. What caught on fire from the lamp? How many watts was in the lamp? I would definitely get them cleaned up. It's very hard to get that smoky smell out of them. I would use some Dawn Dishwashing Detergent. It will take some time to get feathers back. Toes? I don't think they will grow back. So sorry!

It was a 250 watt bulb. We think of the chickens might've knocked it down while trying to roast for the night. Don't know yet. Chickens are really sleepy right now, I will have to wait until tomorrow to check on them. They couldn't keep their eyes open so I guess it's like waking up from beauty rest all you want to do is go back to sleep? I will have to see tomorrow, and yes her toes came off. Couldn't tell much, it was dark. Will update tomorrow! Thanks guys, very helpful information.​

You should probably wipe their faces where the soot is. For the toes you can put some neosporin (nothing with cain in the ingredients) on them. I use vitamin D ointment for wounds also. If you wash them you can use a blow dryer to dry them, use the low setting. I'd wait till tomorrow to mess with them. Sorry that you lost 3 of them. Let us know how they are doing.

I would be worried about smoke inhalation more than anything...birds in general are very sensitive to pollutants in the air. Not sure what to do to help with this other than good ole fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom