Coop de Rice 8x8 - (update)

WaldensRidge

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Red Bank, TN
Well we finally had a favorable weather window this weekend so we broke ground on the coop. I am very luck to have a good friend/neighbor/builder to help with this process. He is also a fire fighter so he was able to build the walls at his fire hall in their down time! Im hoping to build out the rest of the coop this weekend depending upon the weather. I havent decided on what to do about siding, but I was thinking of doing board and batten pine. Ive got a long wat to go and I'll post more pics as it comes together. Thanks to BYC and its members for being such a great resource!

Material list so far:

(80) 2x4x8's used 67 for the walls
(4) 2x4x8 Pressure treated
(20) 2x6x8's
(2) 4x6x8's
(11) 4'x8'x7/16 osb
(2) 4'x8'x1" osb floor
(8) 4x4x8 run posts pressure treated

Last edited:
Our coop is 8 X 8 as well. We used the 'treated' frame from a sandbox for our base. For extra protection, we stapled a layer of hardware cloth over the frame before we attached the flooring. We also used treated 3/4 plywood for the floor. Once the walls were up, I gave the floor three coats of spar varnish to make cleaning easier. You have more windows than I have, but I was using materials I had laying around the property.

I wish I had built the laying boxes with outside access like your looks to have . . . might just change that feature this summer. . . And I have a slanted roof that is 8 ft. to the front door and 6.5 ft. to the rear. Another change I would have liked is to make the pop door a bit higher off the ground on the outside. We have snow here and it has been deeper than I like for opening and closing the chicken's outside door. I did put in an inside sliding door that I really prefer -- both for my comfort and the chicken's protection. No need to use the outside door.

It looks like you're gonna have a great looking coop there! Vertical board and batten was my second choice and it will look very good. We used cedar siding removed from a house we'd resided in vinyl. Just turned the painted side in so the exterior is clear, natural cedar.

Don't forget plenty of ventilation!

Good work!

Thanks! L.Bee, ive been kicking around ventilation options and I think i'm going to add some 1'x4' top of wall vent doors that can be opened in the summer. Also thanks for the spar varnish idea, I treated the underside of the decking osb with 20 year deck sealer but i might try the spar for the top. I wish I could get my hands on some seasoned cedar but I cant afford that...

Last edited:

It's coming along but I feel like I've got SO much left to do. I still have to locate some old barn wood for the siding and have to buy trim. I havent cut out the back door, the sweep out slot or the upper vent on the east wall, but they are happy and have 3 windows for fresh air. They had WAY outgrown theyre brooder and were ready to flap their wings.

I decided not to do exterior egg collection because Im going to do a wired off interior storage room with a egg collection box and shelving for feed and supplies.

I wanted to run some run questions by you guys. Is it ok to do 3 feet of hardware cloth along the bottom and the rest of the sides and top in 2x4 welded wire? Also do I have to bury the cloth if they are going to be inside at night? I was thinking I would at least bring out the cloth 6 inches on the ground and cover it with dirt and rocks.

Last edited:
It's looking very good!
thumbsup.gif

I have a question about your windows. Are they recycled house windows? I have some from when I renovated our house and want to know if those would work like yours? They are 6 pane so I doubt I could put more than one on each side without a door. Do I just need to frame them in and use hinges on the top? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom