coop design

kimf

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Seminole County, FL
I have scoured the forum and found (I think) enough info to plan a coop design. I am in FL so heat, not cold, is our concern. The scale is 1 block = 6 inches. So the coop is 4ftx6ft. We plan to elevate it about 6 inches, just enough to keep it off the ground. Let me know what you think. I want to do it "right" the first time, so please give advice. Although, I know, after it's done I will want to change things--that's always the way. My DH is going to build it and we plan on a 6x10 run off the front of the coop. Planning for 6 chickens. Thanks!!

106301_dscn0331.jpg

106301_dscn0330.jpg

106301_dscn0329.jpg

Hi there,

The planning is fun isn't it. I see you have a hinge up hatch for cleaning, but will you actually be able to get inside and clean it out? 4x6 is a pretty big area to get to from a hatch. You might consider having one of the sides hinged - so the whole side swings open like a door. That'd be pretty heavy, but might be easier than framing a door.

I built mine. It's got a 5x8 footprint and the hen house is 3x5. You can see it on my byc page and I've got some links there back to my web page that shows lots of pictures of the build.

I agree with the previous post. Having a hatch may become burdensome after a while. Remember you'll have to lift it and hold it open or latch it open and hope it doesn't fall on you as you get on your knees (possibly kneeling in chicken poop) to reach inside and do any cleaning.

Your proposed coop is one foot deeper than mine, but feel free to look at my design for any additional ideas. The entire front of mine opens up with two doors and is elevated so I don't need to kneel and I can easily reach in. A link is in my signature.

Good Luck! And get building. Those fuzz butts grow up fast
smile.png

I agree with the other posts that you will want a bigger opening with a door that you can get into easily. We built our coop this year and there are soooo many great coops on this site just remember to keep it well ventilated and shaded (if you can) so your girls will be happy in your heat. Here's our coop
82432_2011_0212coopaug20110004.jpg

82432_2011_0212coopaug20110010.jpg

82432_2011_0217coopaug20110020.jpg

Enjoy your project:)

I also agree that a larger door is needed. Below are some pics of my small coop of the same size as your plan.

100_0402.jpg

100_0388.jpg

100_0392.jpg

100_0391.jpg

The weather is getting cold here so I had to crawl all the way in to finish installing a window on the back of the coop.
Then I had to change my britches since the silly little building inspector chickens had to get in with me and well we all know what they do.
sickbyc.gif

So I took all the advice into consideration and modified my coop. I had it open in the back like barn doors--to each side. Then showed my ideas to my DH who is going to do most of the building (after that I take over). He had considerably different ideas.
sad.png
After much negotiation I talked him into something similar to citychickx6. Raised (higher than I planned) with windows on the sides and the nest boxes in the back. The front will be in the run and open fully (to both sides-like barn doors) to have a 3 sided coop. We will prob keep it open most of the time but it will close for the occasional cold period and heavy rain. Overall I like the plan, but I wanted bigger. I just can't convince him to go bigger than 4x8.
he.gif
To the DH is's building logistics....plywood is 4x8....minimal cuts. Without any visual to go by---whatcha think? Sound like a good plan?

So next question....4x8 will allow me 8 chickens, right? If we keep it open most of the time and have a 8x12 run--can I push that number to 10? I am starting with 6 chicks, but am 100% positive I will want more!

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas, input and info. This is a huge amount of fabulous info to go through.
love.gif
I am having fun!
yippiechickie.gif

Tell DH that plywood is 4x8 so two together is 8x8 and so much easier to work with a square rather than a rectangle. Then tell him that if he made it 8x8 it would be so much easier to clean and tend the birds.

My 8x8, I really do prefer it to the small one.
100_0384.jpg

Love all the coop pics. Currently using a chicken tractor which seemed like a good idea at the time but I had no idea how much 5 chickens can tear up the yeard in just 24 hrs..tried moving the coop more often but not many spots left to move it too! Finally my husband has agreed that a permanent coop with run would be better. Hope to start on it soon and love seeing everyones desgins!

Back
Top Bottom