Coop entrance ramp - too steep?

itsalladream

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Mobile, AL
My Coop
My Coop
After about 6 years, I've finally convinced the wife to let us keep chickens. I've started on my coop, and have it mostly framed up, but want opinions on the ramp leading into the coop. Obviously it won't be a 2x4, but is the angle alright, or should I lower the coop floor a bit? I figured I'd ask before I went any further, just in case. Thanks in advance! 20180325_182227.jpg 20180325_182212.jpg

You could put something under the end of it to make it less steep. If that makes it too high for the little ones to get on, you could make another ramp leading up to it at a right angle until they get a little bigger.

I would lower the floor to give you more separation from the roost and the vents but not so low you can't get in to get an egg or a chicken in need.

Please add your location in your profile it helps to get better answers. Also good to know how many chickens you plan on getting and where you plan on feeding and watering them.

JT

Thanks for the replies. I updated my location as well (lower AL). The coop will be something like a lean-to, 7 feet at highest, and 6 at the lowest. The roosting bars will be in the taller area, which is 4 feet high inside (as it is now) and the coop is 6'x6', with the run being 12'x6 (including under the coop). The nesting boxes will go opposite the roosting bars. To start with, I plan on only having 5 or so chickens, but I figure this setup will give me room to grow.

The nest box (you only need one) needs to be at least 12" below the roost so chickens won't sleep in them. I have a similar setup and I had to put the nest box in the wall of the run to make room for roosts and to get the vertical separation.

I made a roll out nest box where I could collect the clean eggs from the outside.

nbmk3-08.jpg nbmk3-09.jpg

JT

You could put something under the end of it to make it less steep. If that makes it too high for the little ones to get on, you could make another ramp leading up to it at a right angle until they get a little bigger.
This^^^

Just put concrete block under the low end of ramp.
Put cleats on ramp at ~4' centers.

Back
Top Bottom