Coop Expansion

phinux

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Utah
For the time being I'm building a small 4x4 coop for my three girls with a long attached run. City ordinances allow me to have up to six chickens, and I think my current setup will accommodate that number nicely. But I hope for the day when the city will ease off and allow more birds. Does anyone have any experience with expanding an existing coop? I'm trying to build mine so that I could take it apart and expand, but I'm wondering what people have done. Has anyone added a second coop? If so how do you divide up the chickens? Do they divide themselves?

Build the walls in panels like a house with screws not nails. Make the roof a metal slant roof rather then a shingled peak roof. This will allow you to simply unscrew one wall and attach another coop built the same way. The metal panels are also easier to extend because you don't want a seam in a shingled roof (creates leaks). I started this way with a 4'x4' coop and keep adding the same size sections as my flock grows. If you don't use siding on your coop I suggest to cover the cracks in plywood from the extension with peel and stick bath tub grout. It comes in strips, is cheap, is easy to instal, and waterproofs it.

Well for me i would suggest an easy way. You can just buy fish net. Devide your coop in half and put 2doors side by side. Then put the fish net. Atleast 5-6ft high

Back
Top Bottom