Coop Flooring

Pegasusi

Chirping
Nov 1, 2017
I am in the process of building a new coop and run and have been evaluating options for easy maintenance coop flooring. The coop will be 6x6 and elevated 2 feet above ground with standard residential construction framing with two 24 inch wide doors for ease of access. I have considered laying vinyl flooring but would prefer something I can remove and hose off rather than crawling into the coop to mop. I am now considering painting and sealing all sides and edges of the plywood floor with multiple coats of an exterior washable finish and covering the floor with rubber interlocking mat tiles; example:https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=040TBR7NWN9DP6NJGEPC&th=1
tiles-interlocking-mat-500x500.jpg
I considered stall mats but the weight would make them difficult to remove and since I want something I can easily pull out of the coop to hose off, the interlocking tiles seemed to be a better option. These would also allow addition cushion and insulation against the heat and cold not to mention cheaper and easier to install. If anyone has used something like this I would appreciate some feedback as to the pros and cons.

Chickens will scratch through those mats. I use them in the house for our workout room and the dogs are not allowed in there because their nails damage the tiles. They can also be a pain to get clean as they are slightly porous (at least ours are). It takes a while for them to dry also.

I imagine the chickens scratching would tear that up over time.
As long as the chickens have outdoor access, their scratching will wear down their nails so that wouldn't be a problem unless they are always confined.

I use BlackJack 57 which is a roofing compound that goes on like paint. Clean up is simply taking a rake and raking out used bedding. Even with the chickens scratching around and the raking, the BlackJack hasn't shown any sign of scratch marks thus far (this is in a newer coop so I can't testify to how it holds up over time).

I can't think of a time that I'd ever want to mop inside a coop. If there's built up poop wait for it to dry and just scrape it off.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. I had planned to put shavings on top of the interlocking mats but all your responses are very valid! I like the maintenance aspect of vinyl flooring but don't look forward to the glue down process. The HDPE is a great idea and I will explore pricing options. The BlackJack 57 is another great idea, low maintenance, water proof, cost effective and self-sealing.....overall the only downside is the off gases during the long curing time.

I knew I would find expert advice and multiple options from the members of this site. I greatly appreciate your time and input. Hugs to the Backyard Chicken family!

I am in the process of building a new coop and run and have been evaluating options for easy maintenance coop flooring. The coop will be 6x6 and elevated 2 feet above ground with standard residential construction framing with two 24 inch wide doors for ease of access. I have considered laying vinyl flooring but would prefer something I can remove and hose off rather than crawling into the coop to mop. I am now considering painting and sealing all sides and edges of the plywood floor with multiple coats of an exterior washable finish and covering the floor with rubber interlocking mat tiles; example:https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=040TBR7NWN9DP6NJGEPC&th=1
tiles-interlocking-mat-500x500.jpg
I considered stall mats but the weight would make them difficult to remove and since I want something I can easily pull out of the coop to hose off, the interlocking tiles seemed to be a better option. These would also allow addition cushion and insulation against the heat and cold not to mention cheaper and easier to install. If anyone has used something like this I would appreciate some feedback as to the pros and cons.

I'm not a fan of the interlocking mats. The crud would get stuck in the "fingers" of the interlocking part. I am a fan of vinyl flooring! There is no need to hose it off at all. I usually use wood chips to cover the floor. When I need to clean I use my snow shovel and scoop it out. Residual poop sticking to the floor is not a problem, it all comes off easily. I'm now using wood chips and straw on the floor, but it's still easy to clean.
You may want to reconsider vinyl! Good luck! ;)

coop floor bare small.jpg coop floor with shavings small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom