Coop Flooring

Pegasusi

Chirping
Nov 1, 2017
I am in the process of building a new coop and run and have been evaluating options for easy maintenance coop flooring. The coop will be 6x6 and elevated 2 feet above ground with standard residential construction framing with two 24 inch wide doors for ease of access. I have considered laying vinyl flooring but would prefer something I can remove and hose off rather than crawling into the coop to mop. I am now considering painting and sealing all sides and edges of the plywood floor with multiple coats of an exterior washable finish and covering the floor with rubber interlocking mat tiles; example:https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=040TBR7NWN9DP6NJGEPC&th=1
tiles-interlocking-mat-500x500.jpg
I considered stall mats but the weight would make them difficult to remove and since I want something I can easily pull out of the coop to hose off, the interlocking tiles seemed to be a better option. These would also allow addition cushion and insulation against the heat and cold not to mention cheaper and easier to install. If anyone has used something like this I would appreciate some feedback as to the pros and cons.

I imagine the chickens scratching would tear that up over time.
As long as the chickens have outdoor access, their scratching will wear down their nails so that wouldn't be a problem unless they are always confined.

Chickens will scratch through those mats. I use them in the house for our workout room and the dogs are not allowed in there because their nails damage the tiles. They can also be a pain to get clean as they are slightly porous (at least ours are). It takes a while for them to dry also.

I am in the process of building a new coop and run and have been evaluating options for easy maintenance coop flooring. The coop will be 6x6 and elevated 2 feet above ground with standard residential construction framing with two 24 inch wide doors for ease of access. I have considered laying vinyl flooring but would prefer something I can remove and hose off rather than crawling into the coop to mop. I am now considering painting and sealing all sides and edges of the plywood floor with multiple coats of an exterior washable finish and covering the floor with rubber interlocking mat tiles; example:https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=040TBR7NWN9DP6NJGEPC&th=1
tiles-interlocking-mat-500x500.jpg
I considered stall mats but the weight would make them difficult to remove and since I want something I can easily pull out of the coop to hose off, the interlocking tiles seemed to be a better option. These would also allow addition cushion and insulation against the heat and cold not to mention cheaper and easier to install. If anyone has used something like this I would appreciate some feedback as to the pros and cons.

I'm not a fan of the interlocking mats. The crud would get stuck in the "fingers" of the interlocking part. I am a fan of vinyl flooring! There is no need to hose it off at all. I usually use wood chips to cover the floor. When I need to clean I use my snow shovel and scoop it out. Residual poop sticking to the floor is not a problem, it all comes off easily. I'm now using wood chips and straw on the floor, but it's still easy to clean.
You may want to reconsider vinyl! Good luck! ;)

coop floor bare small.jpg coop floor with shavings small.jpg

I use BlackJack 57 which is a roofing compound that goes on like paint. Clean up is simply taking a rake and raking out used bedding. Even with the chickens scratching around and the raking, the BlackJack hasn't shown any sign of scratch marks thus far (this is in a newer coop so I can't testify to how it holds up over time).

I can't think of a time that I'd ever want to mop inside a coop. If there's built up poop wait for it to dry and just scrape it off.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. I had planned to put shavings on top of the interlocking mats but all your responses are very valid! I like the maintenance aspect of vinyl flooring but don't look forward to the glue down process. The HDPE is a great idea and I will explore pricing options. The BlackJack 57 is another great idea, low maintenance, water proof, cost effective and self-sealing.....overall the only downside is the off gases during the long curing time.

I knew I would find expert advice and multiple options from the members of this site. I greatly appreciate your time and input. Hugs to the Backyard Chicken family!

Couple new products Glasbord Flooring and Epoxy supposed to make cleaning easier and newer builders of coops are offering as a type of flooring option for newly built shed/barn coops. That said I have no experience with it. Just looking so far.

Back
Top Bottom