Coop interior flooring

Bwies

Chirping
Apr 26, 2022
Has anybody ever used this for the coop flooring base? If so, does it work well?

Base.jpg

I had considered it for an upcoming coop, my spouse convinced me not to because they will peck it and it is toxic... The idea I liked for the waterproof aspect.

If you do it, please tag me on the update. Thanks!

I used exterior paint myself..put down thick. But I use a straw and shaving mix on the floor so the hens don't have contact. Anyway started coming up in strips after about 8 or 9 months. Wound up grabbing a bunch of feed bags overlapping and stapling them to the floor. I really want to try the black jack stuff afore mentioned. Hubby works at a furniture store and those people throw out wood all the time. So will have me some more floor this time maybe black jack stuff..

I'm going over all my options to protect a shed/coop floor as much as possible. I'm staying from any of the "rubberized" options simply due to the fact they are well known to leach toxins and heavy metals. I'm really not satisfied with any of the alternatives I've come up with. I'm tempted to staple down a heavy tarp and put some thick bedding on top, then just replace the tarp when it wears too much. Or some heavy mil plastic, or maybe both! A sheet of panda plastic on the bottom with a heavy tarp stapled on top. I don't know, just looking for options-My shed is quite nice but I don't use it at all except for needless storage

I'm going over all my options to protect a shed/coop floor as much as possible. I'm staying from any of the "rubberized" options simply due to the fact they are well known to leach toxins and heavy metals. I'm really not satisfied with any of the alternatives I've come up with. I'm tempted to staple down a heavy tarp and put some thick bedding on top, then just replace the tarp when it wears too much. Or some heavy mil plastic, or maybe both! A sheet of panda plastic on the bottom with a heavy tarp stapled on top. I don't know, just looking for options-My shed is quite nice but I don't use it at all except for needless storage
My feed bags are holding up but it's only been a month and a half. However I save feed bags so if I want to recover..its a cheap option.

In winter (to cut the cold) I have a floating floor that I assemble like a puzzle on top of my regular floor. It is insulation (rigid board) with a piece of plywood wrapped in 10 mill. I have used it 2 winters now and no wear on the 10 mil.

Make sure you have enough slack it does not rip the staples out, but not so much it slips, and 10 mil is fine. But it needs to be on top of something. I would trust it to protect OSB, if you wrap it like a Christmas gift 🎁 .(both sides covered and fold the extra down and underneath to remove the extra from tripping you)

Back
Top Bottom