Coop needing to be closed up at night and little Ameraucana being bullied

JimmyJam86

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Hey from Australia 🙂

Just looking for some advice. As you can see in the pic, my chicken coop is inside the main run. Every evening and morning we’ve been opening and closing their house thinking this is giving them more security and happier chooks.

Issue we’ve got is that it’s getting light here in Western Australia around 4:15am and they aren’t getting let out until around 6:15 when we get up.

I think in this time there are a few disagreements and the smallest of our mob is getting bullies and losing the feathers on her back.

Can I just leave the small door open for them to come in and out at their leisure? I’m also going to be building a bigger house, with more roosts that are higher up so wondered whether I could also just build this as a simple walk in and out design?

I know there are auto doors available so considering them also, just won’t bother if there isn’t a real benefit.

I should also add that predators aren’t an issue here as the dog keeps the cats away.

Hope you’re all enjoying your week 🙂🐣🐔

Attachments

• 1D040C84-22FE-4CB1-BF8C-61BB064A4949.jpeg
    1D040C84-22FE-4CB1-BF8C-61BB064A4949.jpeg
    821.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 0C2EAD68-1B23-43A0-A0FD-3547718B3653.jpeg
    0C2EAD68-1B23-43A0-A0FD-3547718B3653.jpeg
    936.3 KB · Views: 3
Can I just leave the small door open for them to come in and out at their leisure?
That is purely your decision. If you feel they are safe enough from predators you can leave the door open. You are the one looking at your situation and you have to live with the consequences.

I’m also going to be building a bigger house, with more roosts that are higher up so wondered whether I could also just build this as a simple walk in and out design?
It is very possible that crowding is a big part of your problem so a larger coop could really help. I like flexibility. If you do build it as a walk in and out, I'd have a way I could add a door pretty quickly if the need arises. You don't have to have a door yet if you feel comfortable, but have a plan.

I personally have an automatic door that works based on light level. I have it set up to open and closed based on light level. That works for my situation. It may or may not work for you.

If you feel like they would be safe enough, you could definitely leave the door open for them. I prefer to keep both the coop door and the big run door closed at night, myself, but there is an exceptionally large amount of predators in my area and I don't have a dog guarding them. It is completely up to you and your comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom