Coop plans, cheapest and smallest

KauAnnie

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Maui
I want a coop plan that is as small as possible to fit 2-3 hens.

Also, really cheap because I dont have a job because Im young.

And this will sound kinda bad but is it possible to make a run large enough so i dont have to free range them everyday, because i live close to the road and i dont want my chickens wondering around unless im outside supervising them.

I looked at a lot of the small coop plans but their quite large. I have 3 chickens and I dont have a lot of room. Maybe less then 4x4, it can be multi storied also.

Supplies i have and would like to use is a old rabbit hutch (2x3) that is raised 2.5 ft.

I have fence that is about 4 ft high

.please help! thanks

Your rabbit hutch is fine to use as the house for two hens max. It is low enought to the ground you don't need to make a ramp. Take your fencing, hopefully critter or predator proof and make a run starting on either side of the rabbit hutch, which is 3' wide, going out about 10'. Make sure the run is enclosed then lay the fencing over the top also and secure it. At one end where you attach to fencing together, do it with bungie cords tightly so you can open the end to let them out. I am sorry I don't have a picture. I am trying to think of ways to make what you have on hand work. The coop barrel idea is great - put your rabbit hutch in place of the barrell, get scrap lumber or 2X2's if you can get them and make a frame using your fencing, make sure to make a gate at one end so you and the chickens can get in and out.

Lanae

I see a picture of a vehicle converted to a coop on BYC Home page. I have thought about doing that with my own dying mini-van - except for a duck house. One advantage is that it is mobile. I can move it. I can park it on a hill and hose it out. I can easily open windows just enough for the weather.

Does anyone have actual plans for converting vehicles to coops?

Last edited:
How about realizing that if you haven't got the decent area/room necessary to keep chickens happy *AND* healthy, you should cut back on the number of chickens to own? *This* would be the responsible thing to do, and no one's teaching you responsibility by telling you to go ahead when you just simply don't have the room for 3 birds. Hate to be so blunt, but nowadays people are too concerned over 'hurt feewings' instead of saying and doing 'The Right Thing'
00a9.png

I see that you have 3 chickens and 4 dogs, how much space is actually available? The rabbit hutch that is 2x3 is a bit small for 3 chickens in my opinion, then there is the question of where you will put the egg boxes. If you have space you might consider building some kind of chicken tractor.

Quote:
I have only one chicken now :'( after a stray dog came into my yard. My property is 1.5 acre but its very hilly. I have 2 houses and the house in the back is where we live. Were in the progress of trying to build a new coop to put on the lawn and is large enough so that I dont have to let them out when im not home (after the dog attack).

We let our chickens out of the hutch at 6ish, 7ish and they go in on their own at around 730 pm and then we lock it up. Right now the poor single chicken is lonely I think so I dont really know what to do with her, we sit outside and play with her but when were not home or doing chores she chirps a lot, Im thinking thats because shes sad. These chickens were adopted after my neighbors moved away and let them out. All of them were quite tame, though the one left is very hesitant to come towards us. My little brother is very tramatized after coming home to see his chicken dead, she use to sit on his shoulder. Its been a very sad week.

Thanks for your help!

Ohh and my dogs are tiny mutt dogs; a pug and three chihuahuas

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with keeping chickens in a coop and run full time. I do it, so they are not eaten by my neighbors dog. They refuse to keep him tied up or behind a fence. He almost ate my cat today, the dog saw my cat, ran into our yard snarling and showing all his teeth. Our chickens are very happy.

For 3 chickens, you need 10 square feet per bird in the run. 5x7 or 4x8 area and the coop needs to be 4x3 minimum area, which allows 4ft pee bird.

Back
Top Bottom