Coop plans, cheapest and smallest

Sorry about your loss. You will either need to give that chicken up or buy another to keep it company. They need each other for company. I'd hurry up and build the run, so it doesn't happen again.

This is what I made out of a rabbit hutch and it seems to work good for my 3 chickens. It is divided inside so the nest boxes are in 1/3 of it and the roosting stick and feed and water are in the other part.
98929_dscn5770.jpg

Thank you for all the great ideas. Yes, we are looking for chickens around the same age as our single chicken. My brother wants a fighting chicken to attack the dogs.

Quote:
Chickens need 4 square feet each in the coop 10 square feet each in the run (no free ranging). So with three birds you will need twelve square feet of coop space. Thats a three by four foot enclosure. Then the run needs to be a minimum of forty square feet. that is a four by ten enclosure. If you did the whole thing as one enclosure with a sheltered space for your chickens you could fence a 12 by 6 space and have the rabbit hutch expanded out a foot to increase the floor space to three by four.

If you are in Hawaii About all you will need is a roof for the rain and some side panels to help keep them dry when the wind blows. So you could do the space just as run with cover for the elements at one end. Save the hutch for something else.

Just a couple of thoughts.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Chickens need 4 square feet each in the coop 10 square feet each in the run (no free ranging). So with three birds you will need twelve square feet of coop space. Thats a three by four foot enclosure. Then the run needs to be a minimum of forty square feet. that is a four by ten enclosure. If you did the whole thing as one enclosure with a sheltered space for your chickens you could fence a 12 by 6 space and have the rabbit hutch expanded out a foot to increase the floor space to three by four.

If you are in Hawaii About all you will need is a roof for the rain and some side panels to help keep them dry when the wind blows. So you could do the space just as run with cover for the elements at one end. Save the hutch for something else.

Thanks, ohh but I actually measured the hutch today and its 3x4, before was a guess sorry.​

Quote:

Thanks, ohh but I actually measured the hutch today and its 3x4, before was a guess sorry.

Woo Hoo for You.... LOL. but seriously with a mild climate you still should only need a run the right size with some roosts and wind and rain shade. This is how my chicken enclosures are. And we get a little snow in the winter but our main thing is predator protection.

Happy building.

perchie.girl :

KauAnnie,

Keep in mind that ANY space requirements (such as the ones that perchie.girl gives you) are suggestions. The way you care for your flock has a HUGE influence in how much space your chickens "need". Please don't just take these numbers (4 ft inside and 10ft in the run) as anything other than suggestions.

Your millage WILL vary.

Dave​

Quote:
KauAnnie,

Keep in mind that ANY space requirements (such as the ones that perchie.girl gives you) are suggestions. The way you care for your flock has a HUGE influence in how much space your chickens "need". Please don't just take these numbers (4 ft inside and 10ft in the run) as anything other than suggestions.

Your millage WILL vary.

Dave

Absolutely....
wink.png

Thank you, we acually converted our enclosed backyard (used for parties or hang outs) to a run. We just put the hutch in there and the entire area was already covered with fence and covered. Only prob now is to figure out how to prevent them from pooping on the furniture haha. The entire area is aprox 8x8. Maybe more cause Im a terrible guesser haha

Back
Top Bottom