Coop Question

Shiphted

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Here is my chicken coop that is finally finished and restored for the most part. Its 12' x 16' so its 192 Sq Ft. I built 2 8 foot community nests and i have 2 12' foot roosting areas. Also made there food area on a 8 inch high ledge so it can stay away from the straw and poop.

Question is how many chickens could i safely and happily put in a coop this size. I was personally thinking 50-60

86260_img_9195_640x427.jpg

Allow 4 sq feet per bird IF they have an outdoor run (which it looks like you do). So...48 standard large fowl, but you only have 24 feet of roost, so that could be a problem with 48 birds.

i can always add more roosting areas. I have space for around 3-4 more 12 foot areas so i could have 5-6 12 foot roosting areas. Honestly the outside pen wont be used im gonna remove it and probably make the Coop bigger. My chickens along with my neighbors 8 and other neighbors 3 are all free range. Pen will probably only get used if i decide to dig a trench and bury the chicken wire and add a net to the top and let them go out at night without surveillance. So you said 4 sq ft. That makes more sense i was told 2.5 per bird but i figured 2.5 was probably for more commercial layers when owning 1000s of chickens.

I currently have 37 i think they will like there home when i get them out of my basement.

Thanks for the reply BTW:p!

Back
Top Bottom