Coop Siding

Cry once over the paint cost, but you won't be painting it again for a long time and it will look good!

A very good point.

Better paint saves money over the long term.

I'm personally fond of barn paint, which is made to go on over unprimed, rough wood.

Save yourself some money and use OSB instead of plywood and/or siding. OSB performs better than plywood while also being cheaper.

This is very much dependent on climate.

OSB down here in the Steamy Southeast *might* last 2 years. Or it might not.

The OSB wall on the Little Monitor Coop needed replacement in less than 5 years despite being sheltered by good roof overhangs and protected with barn paint.

This is very much dependent on climate.

OSB down here in the Steamy Southeast *might* last 2 years. Or it might not.

The OSB wall on the Little Monitor Coop needed replacement in less than 5 years despite being sheltered by good roof overhangs and protected with barn paint.
Would plywood be better though? It’s even more susceptible to moisture damage than OSB. Maybe hot, steamy climates need something else entirely. I was just comparing OSB to plywood. NJ isn’t that far south and is more similar to my climate than to yours, so it might be fine.

My coop is built out of OSB. It's had only 1 winter, but is doing fine so far. Exterior ply on the roof, then tar paper and metal roofing. I think the roof will out last me, the way DH designed it. I think a tree could fall on it and it would be ok.

Both last well here (upper midwest), even outside, as long as they are kept sealed with paint or stain or such. Especially any cut edges. Looking them over closely a couple times a year with a can of touch up paint/sealer is enough. Usually, people don't do that and they start looking bad along the cut edges in a few years and structurally failing in five or ten, maybe.

Would plywood be better though? It’s even more susceptible to moisture damage than OSB. Maybe hot, steamy climates need something else entirely. I was just comparing OSB to plywood. NJ isn’t that far south and is more similar to my climate than to yours, so it might be fine.

We've never had any luck with OSB.

Except for the cost, I favor metal in my climate (it's surprisingly easy to work given appropriate tools).

It’s weird here in NJ and the climate changes daily. We get very humid summers and cold winters with sometimes snow. It rains quite a bit here, but i’ve seen them build houses with OSB. I was looking at osb but i really don’t want to replace it in the next 5 years.

It’s weird here in NJ and the climate changes daily. We get very humid summers and cold winters with sometimes snow. It rains quite a bit here, but i’ve seen them build houses with OSB. I was looking at osb but i really don’t want to replace it in the next 5 years.

If you're willing to spend the money on Hardie panel and you have the tools capable of dealing with it, there's nothing better for durability.

I have one more question because i thought this t1-11 goes over plywood but it is plywood… so did you just use the t1-11 or did you put it over plywood?
Just the t1-11, except in a few areas where I wanted extra support. All my materials were reclaimed, so it was warped in some places and I screwed up a few areas. So I had some areas that had plywood scraps.

Bottom line: If your materials are new or in good shape, you should be fine with just t1-11.

Back
Top Bottom