coop small- ladies not so happy.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Clemmy, Mar 18, 2018.

1. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I too would not house ducks with chickens.

Especially a drake.

Male ducks (drakes) have a penis. Male chickens do not.
    Female chickens can be seriously injured and even killed by amorous drakes.

Most if not all duck housing I have seen is very low to the ground.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    TSC and another feed store. I have 4 chickens and 3 ducks.

Since you know the coop, what do I do with the ducks? There is obviously no room to put any house for them in this coop.

3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    What about having them in the pen together? I'm assuming it doesn't matter the time of day they might decide to rape my chickens.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    If you only have female ducks it is OK to house them together.
    If you aren't sure if you have a drake or are certain you have a drake separate is important.

That being said you have 7 birds in a tiny coop..... I would build the ducks a hoop coop. Then you may even have room for a kiddie pool for them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-hoop-coop-build.1224595/#post-19624561

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-pictures-of-your-hoop-coops.1201852/#post-19038086

A couple threads so you can get a visual.

They are very cost effective.

5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    You would need a different housing set up. Dog house, a low coop to ground, plus they need space to run around.

6. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    The run isn't even enough space for 4 chickens. Ducks need access to water at least enough to dunk their nares in. I don't think you have enough space for the ducks combined with chickens and should add more for your chickens unless they are bantams - you might get by with that space for bantam chickens.

7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I failed to mention I am adding an extended covered run. It will be about 20x20. The coop itself will only be for eating/drinking and sleeping.

8. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    If it was me I'd enclose the entire coop, make the run area part of the coop, existing coop area just for laying eggs, and/or roosting also if they want. It would give them a larger area to be active in when the weather is bad. And either build a larger permanent run or if you don't have to worry about hawks maybe put up a temporary one, could even use electro poultry netting if ground predators are a issue https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-12-48-3-electric-netting

That coop looks like it's probably not that heavy, you could also use it as a tractor if it's sturdy enough to move, just add a couple fold down wheels on brackets to the back and move it around every few days. I would probably just figure out how to get a couple wheels on the back and lift the front and drag it around, but for those that can't or don't want to bull it around this kit looks like it would be handy and easy.

9. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    You could add a duck house in the extension then.

21hens-incharge likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The northern area of.... The United Staes, Canada, Mexico, a certain state? It really helps us help you if you would at least give us the state you live in. FRIGID in Minnesota has a whole different meaning than Louisiana.

If it were my setup, I'd enclose the entire run, turning it into a larger coop, and build a nice big run. Minimum recommended space for chickens is 4 square feet per bid in the coop, and 10 square feet per bird in the run. For more information on space, user Ridgerunner has an excellent article if you want to look it up.

If you can avoid it, you really don't want your chickens sleeping in the nest box. They poop in them, making a mess of the eggs.

Yeah, your feed store people tell you what they're told to say, so they can sell you a chicken and a cheap little coop. They either don't really know, right they are lying to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: