coop space

newchicken1

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
My coop is a bi level the coop is on top of the run coop space is 5x6x5 (w,l,h) the run is 6x8x3(w,l,h) how many chickens can i have in it?

I would say no more than four. If you plan on free-ranging them most of their day-time awake hours, you could get away with having six. The run should have 10 square feet per chicken, the coop a minimum of four square feet per.

As important as square footage, even more I'd say, is perch space. They need plenty of "wing" room for flapping to get onto the perch without knocking each other off, so eighteen inches to two feet per chicken of perch length.

Thank you for your input i really want a happy coop! So at rural king I have to buy 6 chicks so if i make sure they have good perch space inside the coop ill be ok ? Right!

Newchicken1 - do you have a picture of your coop? I am guessing you haven't gotten your baby chicks yet. What kind are you planning on getting? Standard or bantams? If bantams, you should be fine fitting 6 in there.

I made is it my profile picture not done but thats y im asking an yes its a truck topper for my roof everything u see was free!:p

If you are 6ft long by 5ft wide..that is 30sq ft...so you could get away with 6 or 7 and sounds like about 48sq ft of run space...a little small...but they could manage.
My coop is 4X8 and run is an 8x12 and I have 6 big girls and they all get along great and have enough room to move about. Try to stay at 4sq ft coop space per bird or a little more if you can...no less, especially if yours have to stay cooped up alot due to inclement weather.

As u can see in my picture its not done an yet but i want to make sure i finish it right the nest boxes will be hanging on the side of the coop too not sure if that makes a big difference or not?!

I am guessing the cap is where they will roost at night? How will they get up there? Looks like the plank might be too steep for them.

To post a picture, there is a menu bar above the comment box. There's an icon that looks like mountains and a sun - click on that and you can upload. When it asks you what size, I always chose large.

From the board up will be the coop from there down will be the run an im going to build staggering planks so they can get to the top to roost i would like to the coop an run but i font want to fail my chicks my daughter would be broke up

Back
Top Bottom